Question About Atlas Mills

cib

Registered
Registered
I'm going to take the plunge and get a mill in the next couple of months. I've nearly picked up some recently but other family issues came up and I missed out.

My question is how capable I'd an atlas mill and is the vertical attachment worth getting with it?

I'm considering a grizzly g0704 mill but I can get a functional atlas horizontal mill with vertical head for similar price.

Most of the items I make are knife related as I'm a bladesmith but I'd like to do other things/projects as well.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a newbie (I've been at it for about 20 years, so I have 1 year of experience 20 times.) IMHO, a lathe is a much more important purchase to start with than the mill. In fact, I would get a good drill press first, then the lathe, and finally the mill. Also your tasks and skills will determine which equipment you need and when, but this would be my general expectation.

:frog:

I'm going to take the plunge and get a mill in the next couple of months. I've nearly picked up some recently but other family issues came up and I missed out.

My question is how capable I'd an atlas mill and is the vertical attachment worth getting with it?

I'm considering a grizzly g0704 mill but I can get a functional atlas horizontal mill with vertical head for similar price.

Most of the items I make are knife related as I'm a bladesmith but I'd like to do other things/projects as well.

Any input is appreciated.
The Atlas mill can be very capable. I don't know what the capabilities are of the vertical attachment offered with the mill you're looking at.

i have an Atlas horizontal mill, nice machine but my grizzly G0720R is much more versatile.

This would be used for minor mill work shaping and flattening. I'd like to do drill work as well and free up my drill if possible, my drilling is knife handles etc..

I have a Clausing 8520 vertical as well as an Atlas horizontal. They each have a place. But, if I could only have one, I'd take the 8520.
But I'm really curious about the little atlas being converted into a vertical with this attachment. I have no experience with this conversion either, but I know someone must and be a member here.

This would be used for minor mill work shaping and flattening. I'd like to do drill work as well and free up my drill if possible, my drilling is knife handles etc..

For flattening it should work very well. You can set it up with some pretty wide cutters too..

Back