Question About A Couple Carbide Inserts I Just Came Acros

Joe0121

Active User
Registered
I have a friend who works in a Machine shop that does prototyping for the aerospace industry.

Hey brought me several brand new carbide inserts they dont need anymore.

Kennametal DFT05T308MD

and SECO XOMX120404TR-ME08

Can someone tell me if I can buy an alloris type tool holder for these and if they would be usable to turn Titanium ( Grade 5 and 9) on a South Bend Heavy ten lathe

Thanks. I am still trying to learn about Carbide tooling.

The secos look like mill inserts from the number , I have a endmill that uses them , not cheap . You can sell them and get something that should work for what you want. Wish I had friends like that . Mine just bring me junk mowers to fix and sell.

The secos look like mill inserts from the number , I have a endmill that uses them , not cheap . You can sell them and get something that should work for what you want. Wish I had friends like that . Mine just bring me junk mowers to fix and sell.
This is very likely what I am going to do.

Those Kennemetals are used on an insert drill . They used to be WCEMs I believe but will check my drills . The others are indexable mill inserts . You could always just make up a tool or silver solder them onto a shank and use them for whatever . They are carbide and will cut anything machinable . I've made specialty cutters in the past , not hard to do , and inserts are way too expensive to waste .

Back