1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Quality of Bostar QCTP

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by joebiplane, Mar 20, 2014.

1. joebiplane

joebiplane United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Malaga
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Hey guys,

I have decided that I need a QCTP for my 10" Logan 825. I would like an aloris but I will have to win the lottery first.
    I have to go with the best price for now and I'm thinking the bostar AXA from CDCO Machinery will be my best bet.
    Anyone have experience with the Bostar brand ? I realize that the PHASE II is a reputable china Doll but I am really pinching pennies right now as I have been out of work for six months due to health problem but I am back and I am alive and well just broke for the time being.
    any info on Bostar will be appreciated:))
    Joebiplane

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. rebush

rebush United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Naples
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Joebiplane: Put the AXA on my Atlas and have been very happy with it. I bought the piston type. Didn't know there was a brand name on my QCTP just that I got it from CDCO. When I bought a new Grizzly G4003G It came with a BXA and two tool holders, bought twelve more from CDCO. Hope this helps. Roger

3. GK1918

GK1918 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    No. Dighton
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Yes the economy Joe. If this helps, I bought a AXA piston yrs back from WT tools for under a hundred bucks for one of my S Bends. Only thing I did was to cover up made in china with black tape. My reason is a china or usa doll is as "puttin Caddilac hub caps on a Chevy" (i wrote that a million times) Light
    class lathes with a million dollar tool post -won't make a light lathe into a heavy precision lathe- color me wrong, but even with a cheap piston, its
    still quick and even more ridged with a quick change than a lantern. I am not knocking Lanterns but as you get old, the lantern gets irriatating.
    But dont throw it away they do have their place.. Again using 100 oct gas in a Model T wont make it Nascar, its overkill .. Oh dont forget if you
    do buy one, you probably have to tweak the Tee nut, most are oversized for universal applications to fit all......sam

Scruffy likes this.
  4. xalky

xalky United States Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Naugatuck
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I tend to look at QCTPs as either American Made or Chinese. I have an Aloris on my BXA, but that's only because it came in the package deal when I bought the lathe, used, on Craigs list. I wouldn't be able to justify spending $1500 for an American made QCTP for my hobby shop. I had a chinese AXA piston type that I had bought for my SB9 from Shars tool, that worked just fine. Don't get too caught up in brand names on the chinese ones, they're pretty much all the same. I do think that the wedge type is a better design than the piston type though, having had both, I would spend the extra $20-$30 for a wedge type Chinese offering.

Marcel

5. Cadillac STS

Cadillac STS United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I just got the Bostar AXA wedge type and it has been fine. They offer piston and wedge for $15 more. Seems people feel the wedge is better. Couldn't see any quality concerns at all.

BTW I don't see the point of getting Aloris as they do the same thing and when tightened down are both stable and steady and point on. Don't see as one would outlast the other.

6. LEEQ

LEEQ United States Active User Active Member

City:
    cameron
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

The time is now. The wedge type bostar post and holders are on sale at cdco. It amounts to getting the same product anywhere, but with free shipping. I think that size was $105 plus $20 shipping. They sell elsewhere for $125 plus shipping. Mine seems to be a nice tool fit and finish wise and I did lot's of shopping around. You found the best deal on this unless you find one used. Good luck. I'm off to mount mine up now. Ps, I ordered a set of boring bars and a boring head also and the shipping was an additional$1 each. They were the same china stuff sold elsewhere at a lower price plus almost free shipping. If you have to get other tooling getting it from him at the same time will at least save you on shipping, if not on the tools too.

7. KenS

KenS United States Active User Active Member

-Return to Top-

Joe,

As much as I would like an Aloris AXA-- or a Dorian or even a Phase II-- they come pretty dear, especially when you start buying the various tool holders. Here's an example: http://littlemachineshop.com/3876.

I opted for the wedge-style Bostar QCTP from http://www.cdcotools.com/ which is usually on sale for under $120 including shipping. For that price you get the tool post assembly including the mounting stud and plate. Also included are two standard tool holders, one boring bar tool holder, a knurling tool, and a cutoff tool holder. Additional tool holders are only about $10.

I had to modify the compound rest on my lathe since it doesn't have a tee-slot, and fabricated a dedicated clamp nut, shown in the accompanying photo with the black knob. (The supplied stud has an SAE bottom thread for the plate or tee-nut, and a 14mmx1.5 top thread for the clamp nut-- go figure.) The tool post is rigid and square to the chuck, and has been worth every penny.

Bostar_QCTP.jpg

8. astjp2

astjp2 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Pleasant View
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

I waited for an ebay deal for a DTM wedge type BXA tool post, that was the best deal I found. I got it and took it apart, the DTM was much more refined than the phase 2 that we have at work. If you are not in a hurry, wait for something to come up online that is American made. I think that the heat treat for the domestic ones are also better. This is my experience. Tim

9. GarageGuy

GarageGuy United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Cary
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

I have the Bostar AXA wedge style toolpost on my Logan 10", and I like it a lot. It is a perfect fit (tool height-wise) for my 10" Logan. With a 1/2" cutting tool, you can perfectly center the tool to the work, so any cutting tool between 1/4" and 1/2" will work great. Stock up on the reasonably priced tool holders. That's the best part. You will most likely need to reduce the thickness of the T-nut when you go to mount it on your compound. It isn't hardened, so you can use anything to mill or grind it. I used LocTite on it so only the top nut will loosen.

GG

10. jmwarden1

jmwarden1 United States Mike Registered Member

City:
    Springfield
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I too don't believe that there is enough difference to warrant the cost of the American made QCTP. I have a complete set with extra holders of the BXA wedge style from CDCO and have been using them for several years now with no complaints. You just can't beat their quality for the price.
    I have bought quite a lot of tooling from CDCO and Shars over the last few years and for the most part, with no complaints, just can't justify the price of American made tooling for a home hobby shop, just my 2 cents worth.

11. robertw78368

robertw78368 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    mathis
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I bought my qctp from cdco for my grizzly g4015z and works just great. robert

12. astrotasmania

astrotasmania Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Cambridge

-Return to Top-

Hi Folks,

I have just purchased from CDCO an AXA QCTP (Bostar) and have to slightly modify my compound to fit it. Having removed the lantern tool post and the supporting stud, I need to bore out and tap the existing hole to take the new stud. Can someone please confirm what thread /size etc the short thread on the bottom of the stud is? Normally I work in metric, BSW or BA from my time living in the UK, now metric whenever possible because much of our manufacturers/imports are metric. I have a few small USA taps & dies for hobby work, 6 x 40 etc. Measure twice cut once is a good motto or ask the experts.

Many thanks,
    www.shevillmathers.id.au

13. Sandia

Sandia Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sandia
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Hey robertw78368, you are my neighbor. I live in Barbon Estates. Ha, same first name and middle initial as well. Zip is 78383.

Welcome to the forum. Lots to learn from these guys.

Sandia (Bob)

4gsr likes this.
  14. John_Dennis

John_Dennis United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I would recommend making a new bolt, rather than modifying your lathe. since you have a lathe, a custom bolt is the easiest solution. If the bolt is a little small you can make a sleeve. Modifying your lathe is risky and even if done successfully may lead to later regrets

15. Wreck™Wreck

Wreck™Wreck United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Riverton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Send me a PM, I'm in SJ as well and have what you are looking for.

16. joebiplane

joebiplane United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Malaga
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I have rebuilt several lathes and have put a bostar on each one. I like them. Best bang for the buck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. mike1

mike1 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Montebello
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I have the Bostar AXA wedge QCTP on my Southbend junior lathe and it works great . I highly recommend it. I have an Aloris AXA on another lathe and I can't see any difference , other than the Aloris costs a lot more.

18. 428Bird

428Bird United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Deer Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I just purchased a CXA sized Bostar off of eBay with two additional holders. Seems to work okay. I threw away the metric bolt provided and made a new one using a 3/4 bolt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19. JR49

JR49 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Lakeside
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm sure you are just kidding, but if not, I guarantee next week, or month, you are gonna need a metric bolt that same size for a project you are building. Happy Machining, JR49

20. 428Bird

City:
    Deer Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Ask my wife, I throw nothing away - I'm a packrat when it comes to hardware.

Britt

JR49 likes this.
  21. 428Bird

City:
    Deer Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Made a handle to replace the nut today. Definite improvement with the larger stud.

db9c0887580058f4b302271fc0d1850c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  22. expressline99

expressline99 H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

OK I really want to make one of these handles.

23. Cadillac STS

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

One tip with that is to make the nut first and screw it on. Screw it very tight down. Then mark the spot where to drill and tap the handle to go in it.

That way handle will be in place when done and not out back or in the way.

428Bird and expressline99 like this.
  24. Buffalo20

Buffalo20 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Camden
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I've had a Grizzly piston, a Phase II piston, a Phase II wedge, an Aloris wedge and finally a Dorian wedge QCTP. I felt the wedge was better than the piston, then it gets murky, when it comes to the wedge type, is the Dorian better than the Aloris?, is the Aloris better than the Phase II? From the fit and finish, yes to both of those questions. The Dorian looks like a piece of art (quality issues seem to vary at times), The Aloris is nice, but compared to the other 2, the Phase II is a little crude, rough edges and uneven finish. But in operation, I noticed no difference between any of the 3 wedge types, in operation. They all work flawlessly. I switched to the Aloris, from the Phase II, because the Aloris was a gift, I switched from the Aloris to the Dorian about 3 years later, because of a written review, describing the difference in the operation in the wedge mechanism, yes it looks different (supposed quicker in operation, much less lever movement), but in operation I see no real difference. Maybe I'm not pushing the work hard enough, I am somewhat disappointed, I spent the boat-load of money on the Dorian, with no real gain in operational performance.

I have tool blocks from Dorian, Aloris, Phase II, many from CDCO and unknown brands, bought off the web, never had an issue, they all worked, some required the lever to me moved a little further, but still workable. I have a lantern post for the 14x40 Jet, ensured it worked, boxed it up and haven't had any reason to use it, to me, the installation of a QCTP, was one of the best thing I ever did in the shop.

Scruffy, tweinke and 4gsr like this.
  25. Cadillac STS

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

QCTP is definitely the best thing to do.

The lantern is nice and works but.. Takes a long time to set up and shim right. "For this afternoons project I will set up the lantern tool post to make one cut." (Makes a guy hesitate to use the lathe with the set up work.)

With the QCTP in a second the tool is on and set, then next operation, next tool another second on and set. (Makes a guy not hesitate to use the lathe with the lack of set up work.)

26. rick9345

rick9345 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Minneapolis
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

:confused:
    WTF ?????

Being able to do setups is what makes a lathe versatile.:)

27. Cadillac STS

City:
    Grand Rapids
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I never said anything about anyone not "able" to use a lantern post to set up. Just that it is more time consuming and less efficient than simply using the QCTP.

28. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

Well I bought one of these sets in AXA and it's on it's way. Hopefully it will fit better than the BXA.

29. expressline99

City:
    Reno
    State:
    Nevada

-Return to Top-

I will be doing this as soon as it gets here. Thanks :)

30. 428Bird

City:
    Deer Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

That's what I did.