qctp question? ??

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Don't know if this has been asked if so sorry but I was wondering do the better qctp like aloris dorian cock the tool holder when tightening down. I noticed this easily on the knurler but hadn't noticed this on cutting tools. till I got an edge pro lathe gage it has a lil level seen in the pic you first level to your machine then insert in chuck and level tool. I noticed on my cutting tools that if you level it with the screw than tighten the handle it raises the tip of the tool. I got around it by lowering the tool slightly then tightening to level. I have a phase 2 I was just wondering if the better made qctp do the same thing ???

ed-02-001-main.jpg

Neither my Aloris or Dorian AXA's do that.

I have that same gage by Edge Technology, it works really well.

My Dorian SQCTP doesn't do that, not that I can see. I've never actually put an indicator on it to check though. Regardless, you should always be checking cutter height with the handle locked down anyway. That's how I've always done it with any QCTP I have used.

More importantly, if the QCTP doesn't repeat well when locking down, then you have an issue.

I've got run Armstrong and Aloris (both run the same size tool holders).
The Armstrong is a piston and the Aloris is a wedge.
Both hold well and straight.

Daryl
MN

Depending on the tool size and stick-out in the holder the weight can be forward biased and the tool tip may drop at the tip with the holder loose on the tool post. In this case tightening lifts the tip a little as the holder squares up.

I have found this in every dovetail QC tool post I have used. Aloris, Dorian, import, wedge or piston. The looser the free fit of the holder to the tool post the more exaggerated it can be. I always check the final height with the holder locked down.

In the repeatability testing I did on my BXA Aloris and an import BXA piston type I found that with the piston type and a loose fitting holder the holder could be locked down not fully square in the dovetail and it was good practice to manually push or pull the holder into the dovetail when locking.

Back