QCTP info ??

jbalp

Registered
Registered
so my new machine came with a phase II QCTP and five holders.. I need some information. I want to buy some more tool holders and I can't seem to find out if the holders are interchangeable between the brands ? what do I need to know ?

jbalp

Look at the numbers on your QCTP. These are the equivalents to Aloris

Piston Type
250-100 = AX
250-200 = BX
250-300 = CX
250-400 = C

Wedge Type
250-111 = AXA
250-222 = BXA
250-333 = CXA
250-444 = CA
250-555 = DA

The holders for wedge type & piston type are the same. No one uses the Aloris piston designations anymore so just search for the wedge designations, AXA, BXA, etc.

For Phase II & generic China holders you can also go by the last 3 numbers. 100 series for AXA, 200 series for BXA, 300 series, for CXA, etc.

Generally different brands should fit as they follow a standard for the dovetal size & tool slot. You can possibly run into fitment issues but that is a result of quality issues with cheap stuff. I mostly use China holders with my Dorian SQCTP & have never ran into a fitment issue but people have had issues.

If you buy holders from Shars, they now sell 2 different types which are not interchangeable depending on the tool post type. Their ebay listings will show the difference. They are the only ones I have ever seen to sell them like that.

If you buy holders from Shars, they now sell 2 different types which are not interchangeable depending on the tool post type. Their ebay listings will show the difference. They are the only ones I have ever seen to sell them like that.

I have been looking at QCTP. I read what you have said and looked at Shars. I can't see where the difference is. Are you saying the tool holders are different when fitted to a wedge or piston tool post? Can you explain what you mean so I don't misorder please?

The Chinese made tool holders are definitely cheaper to buy but if anyone is looking for a small/quick project,here's one, make the tool holders yourself ,they are fun to make and very satisfying to see them fit perfectly on the tool post, all you'll need is a dovetail cutting bit and a few dog point grub screws and wave washers.

Holders can be found. And they aren't very expensive.
However, if you have one holder, or even just the post, you can make your own.
Just duplicate the female dovetail. Machine the rest of the holder to meet your needs.
Fun project.....

Daryl
MN

I was thinking of making some, but not like this. I have some stock, but will have to buy more. I was thinking of making a "Norman Style".

Ok. I'll bite.
What is Norman Style?

Daryl
MN

Interesting. Thanks for the link!!
I'll be reading through this tonight.

Daryl
MN

Back