1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Qctp holders

Discussion in 'MINI-LATHE & MINI-MILL INFORMATION' started by Hukshawn, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Hukshawn

Hukshawn Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

anyone ever tempted to make an axa qctp holder on the mini mill? Think it's capable? Maybe too heavy of a job for it? You can never have enough tool holders.

2. mikey

mikey Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

I'm sure your little mill can do it but with the cost of materials, cutting tools and time, I think it works out better to just buy the holders. With that said, even a little Sherline mill will cut tool holders so I'm sure you can do it if you're willing.

higgite likes this.
  3. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Hmm.... they are only $27 somewhat locally, and I'm sure the tooling would be over 100. Dovetail cutter, a roughing end mill (which my local store doesn't carry, actually........ :cautious:), the chunk of steel.

Fiiiine.... ill just buy a few more eventually. But I suppose, if I were to want to make 5 or 10 more, making them would be the name of the game.

higgite likes this.
  4. mikey

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

5. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

After delivery, duty, and USA to CAD conversion that's $28. Lol

higgite likes this.
  6. mikey

City:
    Honolulu
    State:
    Hawaii

-Return to Top-

... oh

Hukshawn and higgite like this.
  7. Charles Spencer

Charles Spencer Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Worcester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Drive to Buffalo

Hukshawn likes this.
  8. TomS

TomS Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

CDCO has them for $10 plus shipping.

Tom S.

9. Hukshawn

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Lol. Drive to buffalo. Just a 4 hour drive for some qctp holders. "Hey honey, I'll see you in three days. Gonna go buy some tool holders.". "Like f*** you are..."

I'll be honest, I was watching this old Tony make some holders on his shaper and thought "I can do that!".

higgite likes this.
  10. higgite

higgite General Manger - Proofreading Dept. Active Member

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I'm planning on making some on my LMS 5500 bench mill. Key word there is "planning". I have bought some extra holders before, but I didn't have a mill then. And the way I figure it, I'll wind up with a new dovetail cutter even if the toolholders wind up as paperweights, and who doesn't need another specialty tool? Especially cool ones like dovetail cutters? The world turns on specialty tools. It's science.

Might be awhile before I can get to it, though. Life keeps getting in the way. And that's a good thing.

Tom

11. Dabbler

Dabbler Active Member Active Member

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

Huckshawn, you can, with patience, make almost anything on a mini-mill. I have a friend with one of those mini-mills that have a hollow column and a 1/2 hp motor with 6 speeds. He does fantastic work with it, but it takes a lot of patience and some skill (that comes with time and training). I say - go for it! You will end up with a great project, and likely some tool holders. After all, we bought these machines to use them!

12. Four Corners

Four Corners Canada Iron Registered Member

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

I'm doing it right now. The bits of steel were $7 each. I made a dovetail cutter from a carbide insert that only had one good corner left and a piece of cold rolled that came from Home Depot. A cobalt 2 flute end mill from KMS Tools and I'm making chips. My LMS 3990 is doing amazingly. Big, nasty, sharp chips flying everywhere! I'm brand new to machining, so the practice is great. $27 plus shipping or a five hour road trip, or $7 and lots of practice. I'd say go for it if you are not in a rush. If I do this again I won't get Metal Supermarkets to chop the steel up. It would be much better to cut a long dovetail then chop it up (like TOT does). Oh well.