Qctp Holder Review Part 2

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm still waiting on the steel but I was able to do the aluminum test cuts.

The process was use the same insert and insert tool in each of the tool holders. The stick-out of the tool was set to the same dimension for each holder.

The material was set to the same 2" stick-out from the jaws of the 8" 3-jaw chuck for each holder.

For each holder/tool the material was sized to the same 1.4800" dimension.

The first cut was a 0.010" depth of cut representing a finish pass.

The second cut was a 0.050" depth of cut representing a roughing pass.

The third and final cut was another finish pass at 0.010" depth of cut.

Each cut was 0.400" long to provide full contact of the anvils on the micrometer.

BXA Tool Holder Cut Test Data.png

The results do not have enough samples of each tool and each test to be meaningful, but it is good to see that the results are that good for all the brands...

The results do not have enough samples of each tool and each test to be meaningful, but it is good to see that the results are that good for all the brands...
I agree the sample size is too small but it was all I had time for right now. I may do more over the holidays if I can get a few other jobs done by then.

I agree the sample size is too small but it was all I had time for right now. I may do more over the holidays if I can get a few other jobs done by then.
My comment was not meant to be negative, Jay. You are doing a fine job on testing the various brands side by side. Your numbers are not statistically significant, but the results show a lot, to me mostly that you really aren't giving up accuracy by buying the import clones, not enough to matter to me anyway. It is important to know what works and what does not, and you are helping us through your testing. I, for one, do not need bigger sample sizes on those tests after what you have shown so far.

My comment was not meant to be negative, Jay. You are doing a fine job on testing the various brands side by side. Your numbers are not statistically significant, but the results show a lot, to me mostly that you really aren't giving up accuracy by buying the import clones, not enough to matter to me anyway. It is important to know what works and what does not, and you are helping us through your testing. I, for one, do not need bigger sample sizes on those tests after what you have shown so far.

Not taken as negative Bob, I want to do more to also better understand the resolution of the lathe as well as how the holders perform against each other.

Be interested to see data on used holders too. I have several in my collection I bought new over thirty years ago. They are gently used, none abused. They are still doing good in my opinion. I've also changed out my tool post a couple of years ago with a newer one too. Ken

Here is an updated data sheet with three cut tests in aluminum for each holder.

BXA Tool Holder Cut Test DataR1.png

I finished up the testing today. Here is the results from the steel cuts.

BXA Tool Holder Test DataR1 Steel.png
After going through all this I really don't find a significant difference between any of the holders for average use. If one was trying to work within a few tenths (assuming the machine is capable of that) and need to switch between tooling, then I think the Dorian, Aloris & CDCO would be my choice in that order.

The Accusize holder that I have is really not usable as I received it since the tool holder slot bottom is not flat. This may or may not be an anomaly. I did contact the manufacturer about the issue but never received a response.

The Phase II and the Accusize both need better set screws.

The Shars performed okay but at $18 (from ebay) I think the CDCO is a better buy (if bought in bulk)

The CDCO does not look as good aesthetically as the others but over all performs very close to the Aloris and Dorian. Cost wise this is the best bang for the buck assuming you purchase more than one at a time as the shipping costs go down the more you buy at a time. To buy one it is $26 with shipping. To buy 10 it is $13.40 ea with shipping.

The Aloris is well made and performs well but was the most expensive of the group. I'm not sure it is worth 5x the CDCO.

The Dorian is the nicest of the test group and performs well and costs close to the Aloris. The over size tool slot makes shimming necessary (on my lathe) for 5/8" or 3/4" tooling. The only advantage is it WILL take up to 1" tooling. Aloris makes a BXA-1S that will take up to 3/4" tooling but at a greater cost so in this case I would go with the Dorian if I needed to use 3/4" to 1" tooling.

Interesting finding that the CDCO holder can hold it's own against the more expensive Aloris and Dorian holders. I have a mixture of Phase II, CDCO, and self-made holders and have no complaints using any of them. Thanks for taking the time, and spending the money, for this test.

Tom S.

(snip)The Accusize holder that I have is really not usable as I received it since the tool holder slot bottom is not flat. This may or may not be an anomaly. I did contact the manufacturer about the issue but never received a response.(snip)
Jay, if I understand the problem with the Accusize holder correctly, feel free to bring it by sometime and we can touch it up on my surface grinder.

Back