Purchased Old Martin Lathe, Made In Germany

Atta boy Martin !

Go big or go home (or maybe go big at home ?) they say.

Heck, I dunno...enjoy... & yes, please keep us posted with more of the background story and pics as the beast comes to life again under your stewardship.

Thanks guys,
yes it's a big lathe for a home shop, but it will do anything bigger than my 6" Atlas can't. So to make a long story short this machine shop came up for sale which has been sitting for 20 or more years empty. I shouldn't say empty , this place was packed to the rafters with big iron, tooling and steel. Not a good thing for most of the stuff.
It wasn't bad logistically, as I hired a local roll off driver. He winched it on chained it down and drove the twenty km,s to my shop. I have a couple machinery skates which I put under the headstock and then used my lift truck and basically drove it right into place . He charged me $95.00, which in my mind is a great deal because I didn't have to worry about anything.
As for the lathe, it is in great condition, it had enough oil on everything to prevent any rust. the only rust is on the three jaw chuck. It has a imperial lead screw. Can cut metric threads also. I took the top cover off the headstock and everything looks great. All gears look perfect.
Thanks
Martin

Are you sure Niagara Falls can provide enough power?

I owned a bunch of Martin machines when I had the woodworking shop, they are the highest quality machines (a lot of) money can buy. Curious if it's the same Martin company that made your lathe, I only know of them for woodworking machines?

I owned a bunch of Martin machines when I had the woodworking shop, they are the highest quality machines (a lot of) money can buy. Curious if it's the same Martin company that made your lathe, I only know of them for woodworking machines?
Eddy,
I don't believe it is the same company. Did you own a cabinet shop? That's what we have, we do custom millwork. I have all German machines, Altendorf, Brandt. An Italian boring machine Zangerri and Boschetti. Cant seem to afford a new Martin sliding panel saw:cry:
Martin

Just the right size, I see howitzer barrels in your future. Extremely nice machine,good luck with her.

She's a beauty Martin. What are your plans for her. Cheers, Mike

She's a beauty Martin
That was the exact same thing I said when I saw it, Mike. My plan is to fabricate a firewood processor, and this is just a piece of the puzzle. My Father was a tool and die maker and I know he would be impressed plus I couldn't let it go to the scrap yard.
Cheers

Eddy,
I don't believe it is the same company. Did you own a cabinet shop? That's what we have, we do custom millwork. I have all German machines, Altendorf, Brandt. An Italian boring machine Zangerri and Boschetti. Cant seem to afford a new Martin sliding panel saw:cry:
Martin
Yes I did custom cabinet and architectural millwork, here in NYC for about 20 years. We (business partners and I ) started out with an Altendorf and a vintage Martin. By the time I left, we had 2 panel saws, shaper, jointer and thickness planer, all Martins. We also had an Ott edgebander and a couple of Italian boring machines. The Altendorf was a very good saw but the Martins machines are a clear step up. We leased the machines with a buyout at the end of the term, we would have never been able to afford them otherwise, so if you can swing it, they're definitely worth the investment.
I looked around the web a bit and it does look like two separate companies, however, I didn't see much on the one who made the Lathe?

Back