Punch And Shear?

Str8jacket

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone know of a supplier of a good quality iron worker? Manual operation is all I am really after. I have looked at the hare and Forbes (harbour frieght equivalent) and the baliegh and they don't inspire much confidence. Are there any other options? They want $1500 for the baliegh over here. So im assuming I'll be up for more than that.

Funny that I just learned what one was about a week ago! Now I want one too. Here is the Vid that put me onto them. He notes a few vendors and Ton specs. Passing along:

Funny that I just learned what one was about a week ago! Now I want one too. Here is the Vid that put me onto them. He notes a few vendors and Ton specs. Passing along:

What's funny is I priced up a Geka bendicrop yesterday. $15k. Looked at an older peddinghaus shear as well. I need about 100 grand I think to buy all the stuff I keep wanting! And that's the need stuff not the dream stuff!

Has anyone had experience with the flywheel style punch and shear? Are they worth looking at. I think a hydraulic would be far more versatile

Has anyone had experience with the flywheel style punch and shear? Are they worth looking at. I think a hydraulic would be far more versatile
The first Iron worker I ever used was a Buffalo pre WWII era centrifugal machine. A powerful and unforgiving machine. When the foot peddle was pressed, the stored energy was explosive and could not be recalled stopped ( guillotine). A hydraulic machine is slower and can be stopped or reset by releasing the foot switch/ joy stick.

You can find great deals on preowned machines, but a full inspection of the unit is a must as many are worn from lack of maintenance and abuse.
I found this Scotchman FI-51 back in 2002 in PA. She was mounted in an enclosed trailer and used for demo by a Scotchman salesman. Built in 1998 and saw no production what so ever. I purchased it from Scotchman with a three year warrantee for $12K and another $500 for new punches/dies (3/8" - 1-1/16"), 12" break and back gauge, a $2,500 savings. Scotchman no longer offers this type of machine (intergraded) in 51 ton, and changed to "Beam type" reducing manufacture cost. The new 60T comes in at 1389 pounds while the FI-51 weighs 3500 pounds and has the stations built in. As a demo machine it came with added accessories like quick set up jig table on the punch station.

A word of caution, never punch, shear unless you know what type of steel your working with. Many folks buy scrap yard steel thinking its mild steel. If the steel is hardened, expect an injury and broken tooling.
I use this machine more than the mill and lathe combined.

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

Great tools to have if you're in the fab business. Indispensable, I'd say. I've spent a few hours on a Iron Worker. Wish I had one, just because.

I would stay away from the flywheel style machines. Like Paco said.....biggest caution UNFORGIVING!!

Oh, and rule of thumb, you can't punch a hole smaller in diameter than the thickness of the material, even mild steel. For example, 1/4" hole in 1/2" plate.

Say someone just spent enough money to buy a small car on a hydraulic ironworker and has a choice on 20 punch and die sizes what is the general rule for bolt clearances so this person can spec out what dies to get?:laughing:

I was thinking 10 to do mild steel and 10 for aluminium as i know the clearances need to be more for ally

Back