Pulled the trigger on a DRO.

Mine were m4,5,6's. I believe the 5's and 6's were x1.5, not sure abt the m4's. I couldn't source the tiny tap local and switched over to 8/32 instead. Nothing says you have to use their hardware. You might want to buy 2 taps also. Cast iron ate my first one up before I was done.

Mine were m4,5,6's. I believe the 5's and 6's were x1.5, not sure abt the m4's. I couldn't source the tiny tap local and switched over to 8/32 instead. Nothing says you have to use their hardware. You might want to buy 2 taps also. Cast iron ate my first one up before I was done.

I've got plenty of taps, I just couldn't stretch the short screws.:rofl: I'm also using a few 8x1.25's so I can use some existing holes. I'll try to post some pics a little later if I can pull my aching body out of bed. One would think that at age 49, I would've learned my lesson about moving heavy equipment and staying bent over for too long! :nuts:

Got her installed and working, just need to finish routing and clamping the cables and re-installing the splash shield. I'm really digging the ability to see what each axis is doing at a glance without having to read dials and remember where you stopped on the last cut. I can't wait to try threading with it! Sorry, this is the only pic I've got right now, but I'll try to get some of the scale mounting tomorrow.

IMG_20140428_205505_439_zpsdgqdelga.jpg

You'll forget how to use dials soon enough. So many convenient features the DRO gives you. I don't use mine for threading though, just the X axis. For the Z axis nothing beats a good ol dial indicator on the ways, way to hard to read digital when threading, analog is still best.

Back