PTO Driven Pressure Washer

Thanks for posting this project, especially all the high resolution pictures. I'm thinking about tackling a similar project and had some questions:

1. I'm having problems finding the timing belt and pullies that you used. Where did you get them?

2. Also, why did you go with a timing belt instead of a v-belt or two? I'm not seeing a slip clutch or shear bolt to protect the tractor's drive train if the pump seizes up. V-belts could offer a bit of protection because they'd slip or break.

3. I'm also not seeing an unloader or a relief valve? When the wand valve is closed, the pump is going to build up pressure/heat after just a few minutes. Has this not been an issue for you?

What is the RPM of the pump? I see ~1700 rpm pumps and ~3600 rpm pumps. May I inquire what the gpm/PSI rating of the pump is? Which brand of pump did you go with?

I too get frustrated with small engine sprawl. I am looking at building an electrical pressure washer with a real electric motor instead of the the universal motors found in the plastic ones. Finding a 5hp (yes, 220v of course) ~1700rpm TEFC 56C motor for a direct drive pump is difficult/expensive. So I am thinking belt driving the pump which opens up a much wider range of possible motors (i.e. used motors I already own).

Since you have hose reach to your usage sites I wouldn't fuss with a tank either. A tank is just another hassle to deal with if you can do everything you need without it!

I like your clean layout/design! I might have been tempted to use a roll up high pressure hose reel but the swivel on those is just another failure / high maintenance point. Do you have a wand holder for when the wand is attached to the hose and you need to put it down for a minute without removing it from the hose? What do you do for low pressure supply management? Do you have low pressure hose reels throughout your property negating the need for low pressure hose management on the pressure washer?

Last edited:
Your tractor is the right color.

But i did not know you could put a quick hitch on a baby deere.

That's too bad, the belt driven pumps will often pump from an IBC tote without a booster pump.
Yes.
Long time ago I hauled a water bed bladder on a trailer to pressure wash a dragline I owned. Parked the trailer on a bank and put the gas driven PW below it.
It worked fine.

Thanks for posting this project, especially all the high resolution pictures. I'm thinking about tackling a similar project and had some questions:

1. I'm having problems finding the timing belt and pullies that you used. Where did you get them?

2. Also, why did you go with a timing belt instead of a v-belt or two? I'm not seeing a slip clutch or shear bolt to protect the tractor's drive train if the pump seizes up. V-belts could offer a bit of protection because they'd slip or break.

3. I'm also not seeing an unloader or a relief valve? When the wand valve is closed, the pump is going to build up pressure/heat after just a few minutes. Has this not been an issue for you?

Good morning Jamie,

1) The pulleys I got off of Ebay. I'll have to get back to you on the belt.

2) I wanted a cogged belt so that the drive was more positive and would not slip. Correct, there is now slip clutch. I guess I feel that the chance of the pump stalling out are relatively small and decided it wasn't necessary.

3) Yes, there is an unloader valve on the pump. It is what the output hose is connects to in the first two pictures.

Let me know if you have an more questions. I am glad to help.

What is the RPM of the pump? I see ~1700 rpm pumps and ~3600 rpm pumps. May I inquire what the gpm/PSI rating of the pump is? Which brand of pump did you go with?

I too get frustrated with small engine sprawl. I am looking at building an electrical pressure washer with a real electric motor instead of the the universal motors found in the plastic ones. Finding a 5hp (yes, 220v of course) ~1700rpm TEFC 56C motor for a direct drive pump is difficult/expensive. So I am thinking belt driving the pump which opens up a much wider range of possible motors (i.e. used motors I already own).

Since you have hose reach to your usage sites I wouldn't fuss with a tank either. A tank is just another hassle to deal with if you can do everything you need without it!

I like your clean layout/design! I might have been tempted to use a roll up high pressure hose reel but the swivel on those is just another failure / high maintenance point. Do you have a wand holder for when the wand is attached to the hose and you need to put it down for a minute without removing it from the hose? What do you do for low pressure supply management? Do you have low pressure hose reels throughout your property negating the need for low pressure hose management on the pressure washer?

Good morning Mike,

I'll need to get back to ya on the RPMs, pully ratios, and the technical data on the pump.

Yeah, the belt drive solves a lot of problems that chain and gear drives impose.

The hose bracket is simple and works very well. No need for a reel. And no, I do not have a good place to set the wand with the hose attached. And no, I do not have any other low pressure hose management.

Last edited:
I will add a cogged belt is the best way to go when stepping up RPM this much.

My PTO air compressor uses FIVE EXPENSIVE V-belts. They have to be dressed and re-tighten constantly. I have a sprayer water pump with cogged belt - it never gives trouble.

Good morning Fellas,

As promised here are the design specs to my pressure washer drive train.

540 RPM tractor output
1750 RPM pump input
= 3.24:1 Ratio increase

Drive pulley = 90 teeth - Dodge No. P90-8M-50-3032
Driven pulley = 28 teeth - Dodge No P28-8M-50-1102
= 3.21:1 Ratio

Belt - 1160-8M-50 - Dodge No. 146480

General Pump No. EP1512S17
2.9 GPM at 3045 PSI @ 1750 RPM

General Pump Unloader Valve No. YVB35KDME

Purchased from Kleen-Rite Corp

I bought the pulleys on Ebay. And I bought the belt from an online dealer not sure which one. Here are a couple to choose from.

The pillow block bearings I think are Dodge also and I think I bought them on Ebay.

PTO spline was purchased from Tractor Supply Company.

In my opinion, the belt drive is way over-kill and will handle twice the HP than I have for this application. But, I works great!

Let me know if I can be of further service.

Oh, and Jamie, make sure we get to see your project. :encourage:

Last edited:
Back