pros and cons of a swivel vise?

The pros & cons have been described well above. The only "con" I have not seen is that the swivel base adds another few pounds. I don't have swivels on either of my main mill vises (two mills, each has a main dedicated vise), and the 6" Kurt or the 2 speed 6" PB are heavy enough already.

One of my mills has replaceable tables - I have used the 3 way swivel table one time in 5 years (mostly just to say that I had used it) - for regular table work I use the fixed position table. That Maho mill has numerous bolt on attachments, and I'm more likely to use a non-standard arrangement than the swivel table.

Regular fixed vises swivel just fine if you pull the keys and dial them in to what ever you need. Of course, it depends on what work you do, if you regularly do off angle work the swivel vise is going to be quicker to set up. Even if you frequently swing your vise perpendicular to the table slots - it would be faster using the swivel and dialing it in than switching the keys (I still check alignment with a dial).

I have been in lots of commercial machine shops (not as a machinist) and I don't recall ever seeing a vise still on its' swivel base.

Over half my mill projects are clamp down anyway - so a vise swivel is not an issue.

In my world, speed is not an issue, and there is nearly always a work around for most any problem that comes along.

Of course, you already have it, hang onto it. To answer your question - the only "pro" seems to be faster setting up and certain specific situations.

Back