Proper Way Oil: Vacuoline 1409

jgedde

Active User
Registered
Guys,

The impossible has been acheieved... I found a supplier for Vacuoline 1409 in 16 oz bottles!!!!!

If you don't know what Vacuoline is, it's used as way oil. However it is WITH the original Vactra #2 tackifier! This means it stays put rather than runs off. In short, Vacuoline 1409 is the original Vactra #2.

Vactra was reformulated because the tackifer isn;t compatible with flood coolant. Since most of us, in our home shops, don't use flood coolant, we really want this ingredient.

http://www.brwtechnologies.com/Way_Lube_and_Spindle_Oils_s/124.htm

John

Thanks for posting, John. That is just what many of us have been looking for, though I don't mind buying it by the gallon if it were available that way. It was just in the last couple of years that they started offering this oil in the small bottles. The original thread about it was here.

Terry,

I remember reading about it but they never offered it until yesterday. I emailed and inquired and they said they didn't have enough demand, but if I wanted to buy 4 16 oz. bottles they would get a 5 gallon pail. Of course I jumped at that chance and assureed them I would. They got the Vacuoline and I ordered my four bottles. It is now on their website for online ordering.

I told them I would post this on HM so they could sell the remaining oil and give other members a source of "the good stuff."

They are asking $15.99 per 16 oz bottle.

John

I read some ware lately that way oil in the home shop is a bad idea, it is made for industrial machines with much better wipers that run 24-7 , he stated that it is too sticky and small chips / debris stay on the ways and get under the wipers . He said detergent motor oil is best for home shop way oil.
I think it was on fretts or something similar, can't seem to find it at the moment but made sense to me.
Edit: it's on Google , the article is from Robert bastow, I searched home shop way oil it was first

Last edited:
Chainsaw chain oil varies in tackiness, I had some that left long strands from bottle to saw after pouring.

John
Of course you tell me this now! I just got a gallon of Vactra #2 the will last me through ten more lifetimes and now you tell me its not as good as the old stuff
that you can now still get? I can never win! Oh woe is me.;)

CHuck the always grumpy old guy

John
Of course you tell me this now! I just got a gallon of Vactra #2 the will last me through ten more lifetimes and now you tell me its not as good as the old stuff

The same kinda stuff happens to me too Chuck, i think i'm doing something right and then....:chemist:

John

Cheer up, Chuck. If Vactra #2 was good to go yesterday, it's still good to go today.

(At least, I hope so. That's what I use. ;))

Tom

Where I work we have a large machine shop approximately 40 machinist, Because way oil is so sticky they only use ISO 32, or 68 hydraulic oil. As mentioned above the way oil allows chips to stick to the bed and some do get under the wipers

Back