Proper Lubrication for My New Acer E-Mill

frostheave

Active User
Registered
I am very happy with the new mill with one exception. The manual leaves a lot to be desired! Anyway, since this is my first knee mill, I'm not sure what each oil cup on the head lubricates and what oil to use.

As far as the head is concerned, the manual states: Milling Head (Spindle Bearings) - S.A.E. 10 or 10W light oil, weekly.
Do the spindle bearings actually get oiled? I thought they were greased, at least the brochure states the spindle bearings are "sealed with quality Kluber LDS 18 bearing grease."

I found an Acer PDF for my mill which states: Spindle Oil – Hydraulic Oil AW 22 or Spindural 22. So, I am confused. Do I actually lube the spindle bearings? What does each cup lubricate? What oil should I use? Below are some pics.

CUP #1. This cup is the highest one on the head.

e-mill lube 1.jpg

CUP #2. This one is on the back of the mill.

e-mill lube 2.jpg

CUP #3. I assume this is to lubricate the quill.

e-mill lube 3.jpg

To summarize my questions:

1) CUP #1: Lubricates______ and Use Oil_____

2) CUP #2: Lubricates______ and Use Oil_____

3) CUP #3: Lubricates______ and Use Oil_____

4) Do the spindle bearings get lubed regularly or are they greased and sealed?

5) Similar Grizzly and South Bend milling machine manuals recommend: ISO 68, S.A.E. 20 R&O Gear and Bearing Lubricant for the cups. Any thoughts?

6) Should anything else on the head be lubricated, aside from the Spindle Bull Gear?

7) Should I do a spindle break-in similar to those in the Grizzly and South Bend manuals?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

e-mill lube 1.jpg e-mill lube 2.jpg e-mill lube 3.jpg

I am very happy with the new mill with one exception. The manual leaves a lot to be desired! Anyway, since this is my first knee mill, I'm not sure what each oil cup on the head lubricates and what oil to use.

As far as the head is concerned, the manual states: Milling Head (Spindle Bearings) - S.A.E. 10 or 10W light oil, weekly.
Do the spindle bearings actually get oiled? I thought they were greased, at least the brochure states the spindle bearings are "sealed with quality Kluber LDS 18 bearing grease."

I found an Acer PDF for my mill which states: Spindle Oil – Hydraulic Oil AW 22 or Spindural 22. So, I am confused. Do I actually lube the spindle bearings? What does each cup lubricate? What oil should I use? Below are some pics.

CUP #1. This cup is the highest one on the head.

View attachment 77548

CUP #2. This one is on the back of the mill.

View attachment 77549

CUP #3. I assume this is to lubricate the quill.

View attachment 77550

To summarize my questions:

1) CUP #1: Lubricates_spindle bearings_____ and Use Oil_SAE 10W hyd oil, I use Mobil Velocite #6 Light spindle oil.____

2) CUP #2: Lubricates_Same_____ and Use Oil_____

3) CUP #3: Lubricates_Same_____ and Use Oil_____

4) Do the spindle bearings get lubed regularly or are they greased and sealed? See 1,2 &3 above. Fill oil cups weekly.

5) Similar Grizzly and South Bend milling machine manuals recommend: ISO 68, S.A.E. 20 R&O Gear and Bearing Lubricant for the cups. Any thoughts?

6) Should anything else on the head be lubricated, aside from the Spindle Bull Gear? Grease zerk on back of head, twice yearly for back gear. Any good grade of chassis grease. Elevating screw has grease zerk as well, grease monthly. I also hit the screw with Mobile Vactra as well. I use Mobil Vactra #2 in the one shot oiler.

7) Should I do a spindle break-in similar to those in the Grizzly and South Bend manuals? Manual does not call for breakin so I did not, no problems so far.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Hope that helps Bob, if you have any more questions please let me know. How do you like it so far?

Bob

Hope that helps Bob, if you have any more questions please let me know. How do you like it so far?

Bob

Well I am really surprised! I thought the spindle bearings were greased. So far, I really like the mill, although I haven't done anything yet! The only 10w oil I have found here in Fairbanks is in a 55 gal drum! Hopefully tomorrow, when more stores are open, I'll be able to find some. It won't be time wasted though. I think I'll install the x-axis power feed today. Thanks for your help!

Bob

Back