Propane Forge

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I kinda figured it might be handy to have a small propane forge for the odd time I wanted to hammer out some project. I have a coal forge I made some 30 years ago, but I now live in a strata neighbourhood and they might object to the clouds of white smoke you get when the coal is coking off.

The first step was to cut a 2" hole through one brick for the burner. I re-used the one I made for my foundry. No point in duplication. A ring of 1/4" holes drilled with a masonry bit - hammer on the drill turned off to prevent cracking the brick. I cut 4 teeth on the end of the pipe I was using for the burner support tube and worked it by hand to drill through the brick. I wanted a slightly loose fit so the pipe wouldn't expand and split the brick.
P1070189a.jpg
P1070190a.jpg

I welded up upper and lower frames and clamped it all together with threaded rod. The split bricks at both ends can be stood up to partly cover the ends.
P1090191a.jpg

I haven't fired it up yet. Waiting for warmer weather. This is an outdoor activity.

Could you show the burner assembly, and possibly give some construction detail please?

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

Here's the whole burner.
PC301211a.jpg

Starting at the outlet ... A 3/4" coupling turned into a nozzle.
PC301215a.jpg

Next, a 6" long, 3/4" threaded pipe, a coupling and a 2" long, 3/4" pipe nipple. If you can get a longer pipe, you won't need all the fittings. After that, a 3/4" to 1 1/4" reducer.
PC301214a.jpg

4" of 1 1/4" pipe with four air slots milled into it. The pipe in the middle has a cap screwed onto the end with a #60 hole drill into the centre.
PC301213a.jpg

The gas pipe is supported by a 3/4" plug screwed into another reducer, with a hole drilled though it and a couple of setscrews to clamp it.
PC301212a.jpg

As mentioned, it was built for my foundry. It puts out a fair bit of heat in a good neutral flame.

Back