Procunier Tapping Head Disassembly

ToddK

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Procunier 1E tapping head from E-bay. The seller said that the head had started to slip, so I ordered a clutch kit from Procunier. The manual for the tapping head is available here:
http://www.rockford-ettco.com/DownloadInstructManual/Inst_Man_11000-13000.pdf

When I went to install the clutch, I got stuck on step#3- I couldn't figure out how to slide the clutch pin out, due to the Reverse Shell interfering with the movement. Searches of this forum and a few others showed that others probably had the same question, but there wasn't a good documentation of the answer, so I'd like to show some photos.

Photo #1 is an overall image, with the shaft & collet in the UP position.

Photo #2 shows the same image, but with the shaft & collet in the DOWN position. I didn't know it at the time, but my unit was stuck in the DOWN position, and that is why I couldn't slide the clutch pin out. After I mounted the unit to my mill and tried tapping a few holes, the spring unstuck, and everything became easy to troubleshoot.

After pulling out the 4 socket head cap screws on the top of the unit, the tapping head pulls apart into a Top & Bottom assembly, as shown in Photo #3. The Separator Ring is visible inside the Top assembly. To do the clutch change, the Separator Ring is pulled out, and a new one is inserted. No further work is required on the Top assembly to do the clutch change.

The two clutch pin retaining screws are shown in Photo #4. These screws physically block the path of the clutch pin. Remove these two screws.

Photo #5 shows the shaft in the DOWN position. In this position, the movement of the clutch pin is blocked.

Photo #6 shows the shaft in the UP position, where removing the clutch pin is easy.

Then stick a bent wire in to remove the clutch pin as shown in Photo #7.

Photo #8 shows the clutch pin poking out.

After the clutch pin is fully removed, the clutch will slide out, and you can see the clutch spring and Reverse Shell, as shown in Photo #9.

At this point, the spring, reversal shell, and shaft easily come out. Photo #10 shows the disassembled unit. I didn't mess with trying to take the Upper assembly apart.

Back