Problems With My Hf 2 Ton Shop Crane

CNC Dude

Active User
Registered
I am having the following issue with my Harbor Freight Two Ton Shop Crane. It is not old at all, and has only been used about 4 times. Of course, this thing sits unused much more than it is used...

Anyway, the hydraulic ram stopped going up as it used to. There is no oil leak or anything. I was able to "trick" it by manually pulling the ram in and out and eventually it gained some push ability. However, it took forever to make it work to only about half travel.

Is there some kind of priming that is required for this to work after it has been unused for many months? Or should I just assume this is one of the clear cases of "you get what you pay for"?

Have you stored the ram on it's side or something? It sounds like it's low on fluid or needs to be bled.

I have one of those, if I remember correctly, I had to add hydraulic fluid to it. It sounds like you have some air in the system.
I just looked at the manual on-line. They say to replace the oil every 3-years. What's up with that?

Here the link to the crane, scroll down to download the user manual to see the instructions on bleeding the jack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69514.html

I have one of those, if I remember correctly, I had to add hydraulic fluid to it. It sounds like you have some air in the system.
I just looked at the manual on-line. They say to replace the oil every 3-years. What's up with that?

Here the link to the crane, scroll down to download the user manual to see the instructions on bleeding the jack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69514.html

Yeah, If you ever drained out that nasty looking fluid, I understand why it needs draining. I suggest filling with some good ISO 46 hydraulic oil, the clear stuff. Not the stuff sold by HF. Ken

I had the same thing happen to me with my HF lift. It appeared the one way check valve stuck, so I couldn't build up pressure. I was trying everything to get it to work, as I needed to get my motor back in, so I could go to work the next day. What finally worked for me was pumping it really fast w/o the pump handle inserted (faster cycling w/o the handle). Not exactly sure why it worked, but think pulsing flow past the check valve unstuck it.

It's worked fine since. Not a scientific solution, but maybe it will help you.

Chris

Hey is this Chris B.? Do you know a Gregg K.? with fin?
Mark S.

Sorry different Chris.

Chris K.

Back