Problems lifting my PM935

LarsP

Registered
Registered
Brand New 935 arrived a while ago. I uncrated it, but left in on the pallet for stability. Now it's time to lift and move it, but I can't get it to balance.

I'm using a 2-ton Engine Hoist and the lifting eye. The motor is basically vertical, the table is at the column, and the knee is almost all the way down. I've unscrewed it from the pallet, and I've moved the ram forward to the point that the lifting eye is directly above the face of the column. When I lift the rear lifts first, and I can't lift the front by hand. I'm not that strong, what I'm suggesting is that it's not even close.

Questions:

1) How far forward can I move the ram when I'm lifting the machine? Have I gone too far already?

2) The (online) manual shows using the lifting eye, but the motor is missing (a detail I missed in previous viewings). Do I need to take the motor off to use the lifting eye successfully?

3) Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

L

I'm trying to go too fast. The motor isn't missing - it's rotated to the operator's left 90 degrees. I'll try that while I'm waiting for enlightenment.

I lifted mine using the method described on the manual. Head rotated 90 degrees to the left (facing mill), table run full to the right and back to the column, knee all the way down and ram forward so dovetail in rear was flush with column. Further, I approached the lift from the front and I used ratchet straps hooked to the underside of the knee over the arm of the hoist. Lifted up pretty straight and easily rolled it into position.

Peder,
I finally set up my machine as you did except the head was tilted 45 degrees to the left and back 45 degrees. It lifted up almost flat so I was able to put it into a trailer and back the trailer into the garage. That's where it'll sit until tomorrow when we'll unload it and move it to its final resting place.

Still have 10 fingers and 10 toes and no damage (except for a few scratches) to the machine.

Thanks for your help.

L

Here's how I did mine.

When I placed it in it's home position I came in from the front and the mill tilted the same amount so easy peasy.

IMG_3822.JPG

Reactions: Z2V
Mine came with the head down and the knee all the way down...
I built a stand (with out-riggers with wheels, removable)...
Picked up the mill from the front (before moving the head)... and put it into the stand.
Then rolled the stand to its home and removed the outriggers... and leveled.
Then turn the head up.
Yes, it did lean a bit... adjusted the ram until it was not much... and a friend 'nudged' it along... :)

Sorry... no pics

IMG_0674.jpg

I didn't like the way the machine tilted forward with the head forward, and rotated down on the table. So, I rotated the head 180 degrees and moved the ram back and forth in small increments until I got a much more level lift. Different, but worked for me.

Not exactly the same machine , but you get the gist for picking. Although a forklift was used, the rigging would be the same. The machine had to hang level to lower it into the frame. Pretty much what wrmiller shows. DON'T FORGET TO LOCK EVERYTHING DOWN PRIOR TO PICKING. Get at least one person to help you when using a engine hoist.
I also used a come-along to get final leveling, but this can be done with webbing.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Thanks Paco. I was just showing how I configured the mill for my lift. I wasn't trying to explain in detail how to lift a mill. :)

The lift I did in that picture was just me, but I was simply getting the mill off the pallet and onto the floor. The second lift was to get the mill on it's new base, and I had help getting that one done.

I know that people were shorter back when these things were designed, but you'd think that someone would alter the original drawings/molds for these things and make a taller mill so folks wouldn't have to keep making stands for these things. :)

Back