Problems fitting insert to tool holder

rtbain

Registered
Registered
I’m experiencing problems fitting insert to tool holder. New to inserts and holders.

Kennametal “MCLNR-083A NI6” tool holder. ½ shank. Lock pin.
Got inserts “CNMG322"

My problem is the insert does not seem to fit. Viewed from the top it appears the hole in the insert and the lock pin do not align. The insert is not seating enough to match the lock pin. The holder was checked for burrs and obstruction. Looks good to my untrained eye.

The lock pin was removed from the holder. It easily fit the insert. The insert fits well with the lock pin removed.

The inserts were sent in an unmarked box. The insert measures 0.3755” with a 0.1445” center hole. Has “KC5010” printed on the side. So it appears to be a “CNMG322” insert.

Will call Kennametal next week but would appreciate any suggestions.

On most negative insert holders like the MCLNx the center pin is an eccentric. When you turn it it will push the insert into the seat.

Screw the pin in all the way, then back it off a bit until the insert will fit into the seat. Then tighten back down.

To add, the center pin & top clamp do not need to be tightened down hard, a good slight snug is all they need. Together they lock the insert in very well.

Please remember that the inserts are not square, they are 80 degree diamond, with my eye site I have to sometimes have to turn mine 90 degrees so they fit correctly. Also per above check the lower guide pin, on the larger holders they need the proper seat, but on the 1/2" shank they do not use them. The other possibility is you have the wrong insert, although the dimensions look correct, these should have a cutting edge on both sides. Maybe post a picture if you can't get it worked out.

Bingo! I did not notice the lock pin was eccentric. Thanks for the advice.

On most negative insert holders like the MCLNx the center pin is an eccentric. When you turn it it will push the insert into the seat.

Screw the pin in all the way, then back it off a bit until the insert will fit into the seat. Then tighten back down.

To add, the center pin & top clamp do not need to be tightened down hard, a good slight snug is all they need. Together they lock the insert in very well.

Good point. The insert was put in every which way I could think of. It is double sided. The center pin did the trick. Thanks!

Please remember that the inserts are not square, they are 80 degree diamond, with my eye site I have to sometimes have to turn mine 90 degrees so they fit correctly. Also per above check the lower guide pin, on the larger holders they need the proper seat, but on the 1/2" shank they do not use them. The other possibility is you have the wrong insert, although the dimensions look correct, these should have a cutting edge on both sides. Maybe post a picture if you can't get it worked out.

Back