Problem With Shars Wedge-type Tool Post

Well, I returned the tool post to Shars for replacement or repair. I called twice about it after my tracking number indicated it was delivered. Strange place. They answer the phone "Hello" I had to ask if this was Shars. All in all, I spoke to four people who weren't much help. However, the toolpost came back today and it works OK...barely. The wedges, especially the troublesome one, seem to be a little fat. The tool holder has to be dead straight to drop on. I suppose for the money, it is OK. Unfortunately, the quick change feature is handicapped by having to fiddle with it.

You may be able to deepen a notch on the wedges allowing them to rise higher providing you more clearance. Just an idea. Sucks that you are having this much trouble. I like the service I get at LMS and Tools4Cheap. If there is a problem, they will get you a replacement. Lack of service when you get a Chinese lemon is a big factor in deciding which vendor you go with. My dealings with Shars have left me with a desire to go elsewhere if possible, but not to the point of never using them again.

I like cdco better than shars I have tools from both. my sons lathe that I bought him has cdco everything worked just fine my big lathe has aloris bill

I had trouble with Shars also, over a set of chuck jaws that they finally, grudgingly, replaced. Best to order with a credit card so that if you can't get satisfaction from the vendor, you can have your credit card company step in. That usually gets things moving in the correct direction.
Mark S.

Back