Pressure Washer.... Can I Install A Pressure Switch?

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I have a 220V pressure washer to do yard work, wash cars etc.
It is a pretty powerful one 20o0psi? 4 gallon per minute?

It has a GFI cord, and an on off switch.

When i am using it, sometimes i need to put the spray wand down to soap sponge the vehicle I'm washing , or talk to the neighbour, or have a beer etc. The pump stays running full time in the garage. It is annoying and loud. Plus i was told by the company that sold me it that it would be hard on it to run it like that without cold water going though the pump.

Can I install a pressure switch so the pump only runs when there is a a demand? and it turns off and is silent when i put the hose down? similarly to the coin op car washes? If so would it go on the low pressure supply side of the pump (garden hose side) or the 2000 PSI side? Or is this impossible?

I know small cheap department store pressure washers operate this way...

Any comments?

Sure. Go for it. Find a pressure port and put a pressure switch in it, and use it to control the power. Of course, it is not quite that easy. You will need a power relay to be able to control the much larger machine current, and you will need a pressure switch with the correct upper and lower pressure settings to turn it on and off at pressures that give the machine a working pressure band that is useful.

I would think you would need a surge tank to prevent the pump from short cycling. I would suggest you think about a FLOW switch instead of a pressure switch. NO FLOW pump stops turn nozzle on water flows pump start. Would design with a off timer to prevent shutdown for short no flow condition.

fixit

Can I install a pressure switch so the pump only runs when there is a a demand? and it turns off and is silent when i put the hose down? similarly to the coin op car washes? If so would it go on the low pressure supply side of the pump (garden hose side) or the 2000 PSI side? Or is this impossible?

You would want the switch in the low pressure side. Maybe a flow switch would be better. No Flow = OFF

You know, never thought of a flow switch on a pressure washer. Like to know how that one turns out !!

Back