Pressure Turning

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
A while back I watched a video by Joe Pieczynski on pressure turning. I immediately thought, "Now that's something I'll never use."

Yesterday I bought some great price carbide blades for my 12" radial arm saw. They didn't fit. No big deal. I have a lathe or three. I'll just turn one of the arbors to fit. The little lathe is still all apart for the duration. The middle weight is pretty much dedicated to small rod stock collet operations so I walked over to the 1 ton 1440 and grimaced. I could have used a couple parallels behind the stock, and shimmed it on the 3 jaw, or I could have swapped out for the 4 jaw and dial it in, but what a pain.
Instead I used a live center to get concentric, and pressure turned it up against the front of the jaws of the 3 jaw. I wasn't sure if my Chinesium lathe would be up to the task, but it turned out to be dead easy.

Here it is.

Good deal!

I've taken carbide tipped saw blades and set them up on the mill and bore out the arbor hole to fit mill arbors and use as slitting saws on the mill.

Good deal!

I've taken carbide tipped saw blades and set them up on the mill and bore out the arbor hole to fit mill arbors and use as slitting saws on the mill.

You didn't find the metal of the blade to be a bit hard for that? I thought most were made out of HSS. They don't scratch up very easy. Even if an arbor slips. I'd have probably made an arbor to match the blade instead. Still, using carbide wood blades as slitting saws is a great tip. I never thought of that. The probablem has never really been the carbide, but the speed. Nice thing is on the mill you can get the surface speed down where it needs to be for most metals. Nice. Set one up on a horizontal mill and you might have a great saw for sizing stock too.

I thought most were made out of HSS.
The main body is made of carbon steel, then the hard tips are added. Steel blades are just high quality carbon steel. They are not particularly hard, except for cutting edges, and some machinists cut them up and use the pieces for cutting tools, often including a carbide tip in the piece.

I was thinking of cutting up my old blades for cutting tools, but not necessarily metal cutting tools. If it works out I may regret all the worn out saw blades I have thrown away over the years.

May be slower, but I would think that Clickspring's glue chucks would be safer.

I make hand scrapers for woodwork projects out of hand saw steel:). I seldom use any sand paper anymore on wood, mostly scraper.

IMG_0472.JPG
:confused 3: Parting blades

Last edited:
Back