[How do I?] Pressing Short, Tiny Pin In?

62Scout

Registered
Registered
As I'm slowly reintroducing myself back into the machining hobby after a roughly 20 year absence, I'm finding myself doing some head scratching at some seemingly super easy problems...

Current issue - I'm making a part that in essense, will be similar to two pieces, shaped in a manner to resemble a lap joint. These two pieces will be clamps for a box with thin plastic flanges on it that was intended to be screwed down via those flanges. The plastic flanges were molded to the box close enough that there is no good way of using screws to hold it down - by the time I get a screw large enough to hold the load, the head is hitting the box. Smaller screws pull through the plastic or break the flanges. At the moment I have it secured with a couple #7 self drillers run down at an angle...it works, but is unsightly. (About this time I'm thinking I really should get myself reaquainted with Auto Cad as well..pictures worth a 1,000 words and all that)

My plan is to machine a couple pieces of aluminum, put the lap joint in the end, and use them to clamp the box down to the surface, rather than screwing the box down. As part of this, I want to use a pin that will fit the holes provided for using screws in the plastic flange of the box to locate it. I'm sure I'm likely over engineering this whole mess, and the pin won't be needed..but hey, why not learn to do this goofy stuff when I'm not in a time crunch for something?

The pin will be somewhere around .0625" diameter, going into the part roughly .200" depth, and having an exposed height of around .125". Is this the kind of thing that I would be best off just drilling to a snug fit, and using a drop of super glue to hold in place? I'm concerned any method of drilling to an interference fit and attempting to press such a small diameter pin in will result in much frustration and bent pins.

Use a roll pin. That way just drill it with 1/16" drill bit and press the pin in. Or use a number 53 drill instead of a 1/16 drill. That will give you a hole size around .060". .0025" should not be too tight of a fit using a roll pin. It would be too tight for a H & G dowel pin. A hole needs to be reamed for a solid pin like a H & G pin.

Back