Preferences for threading tools?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
What brand and type is your preference for single point threading tools for a retractable or swing holder?

Thanks,

Nelson

I have only used HSS tools for threading.

Well, I can't speak to the retractable or swing holders, never having use them. One shop I worked at back in the 70's was a repair shop, great experience. I hardly knew what carbide indexable tooling was. We never used HSS, but always had C2 and C5 brazed bits on hand for turning, boring and threading. We kept a diamond wheel for dressing the edges on them. When I worked at McEvoy, nearly everything was inserts, save a few profile tools, or part off tools. That was before Iscar and those folks developed good partoff and groove tools.

Now, in my own shop, it's all carbide inserts. Partly it's because of the materials I machine, and partly for time/cost, and partly for finish at speeds higher than HSS would allow.

But then, the initial costs to get going on carbide inserts is pretty high and may not be justifed. It's much cheaper, and a good experience to learn about angles and grinding tools with HSS. Cobalt is generally best.

Guess I have to vote for HSS grinding my own. Those brazed on things just do not like me. Other day
not even a minute that was history even with little cuts. I dont have a fancy tool holder and mine
takes a 1/4 cutting tool I thought I had some but didnt. So nothing to loose I ground a 60* point from
a 1/4" allen wrench. Not only did the job, but held up very well. So if you get stuck try it.

Back