Precision Matthews / Quality Machine Tool: A Visit.

Ray C

Registered
Registered
Hi Folks,

I'm up in Pittsburgh at the moment just to visit Matt, Nicole and company at Precision Matthews / Quality Machine Tool.

The ride up here was wonderful once I got past the 695 Baltimore Beltway which seems to be chronically congested. I absolutely love driving through the Allegheny Mountains; the footings of which sneak-up on you so quickly. Suddenly, you're high up looking down at our wonderful countryside. I know these pictures don't do the actual scenery justice but, I'll post them hoping someone else has been here and this triggers in your mind that wonderful sensation of freedom this part of ride always engenders. This is a section of road that must have been very difficult to create back in it's day -and it makes you think how instrumental roads through mountain passes helped this Country become great... It's beautiful at approximately 4000 ft elevation...

Mountain 1.JPGMountain 2.JPGMountain3.JPG

4 hours of driving later, we're back on earth looking at cool stuff... But first, some snaps of the gang...

Myself in the gray sweatshirt and Matt and Nicole

DSCN0329.JPGDSCN0330.JPG

And the most important guys in the place: -The two big guys who heave these things around, check all the basics, install VFDs and install DROs before sending them out.

DSCN0314.JPG

I'd like for you to meet my new CNC mill...DSCN0321.JPG

And a few new addition to the Precision Matthews / Quality Machine Tool family. This is a lower cost version of the Taiwanese made 935 knee mills. These are made in China, cost a little less and seem to be very good machines on-par with the standard version of the 1440 PM lathe. This is a new model that hasn't been announced until now.

DSCN0324.JPGDSCN0326.JPGDSCN0325.JPG

Here's one that I've been dying to lay eyes on for the longest time and in all likelihood will become part of my shop once I expand the outer wall (hopefully in the spring). This is the 1440 HD lathe and I like everything about it. -Take that back, I'm head over heel in-love with it. I may very well put a deposit on this one before I leave tomorrow. 3 Phase, 3 HP. Just plug it into a VFD and go... It's a little heavy though as the bed has twice the girth of a normal 1440. I gave this thing the close eye -and I like it.

DSCN0331.JPGDSCN0332.JPGDSCN0333.JPG

... And yes, every darn machine is checked in several ways before going out the door. Runout is checked in several ways, bed concentricity is checked to make sure nothing drastic happened while in-transit. BTW: It is always assumed the owner will properly align the machine using normal techniques but, when something like this is shipped, things can happen and it takes the appropriate steps to get the basic alignment back in order. At lest with the checks done in the warehouse, you will at least know the machine did not have serious "birth defects". This by the way is a PM1640 being checked and there's a stack more left to do... this one needs a VFD and motor.

DSCN0306.JPGDSCN0307.JPGDSCN0308.JPGDSCN0309.JPGDSCN0310.JPGDSCN0311.JPGDSCN0312.JPG

Anyhow, there are some additional photos here of some huge machines... There are several of them here getting ready to go out the door. That spindle next to my hand is a D-11. I take a double or triple XL glove size -and that spindle and leadscrew makes my hand look tiny. I'm not even sure what size lathe that is but, it's 12,000 lbs.

Tomorrow I'll see how the DROs are installed... We'll have more pictures then. It's been a great visit and I know a lot more about the machines now and can answer more questions if you have them...

Ray

Mountain 1.JPG Mountain 2.JPG Mountain3.JPG DSCN0306.JPG DSCN0307.JPG DSCN0308.JPG DSCN0309.JPG DSCN0310.JPG DSCN0311.JPG DSCN0312.JPG DSCN0313.JPG DSCN0314.JPG DSCN0315.JPG DSCN0316.JPG DSCN0317.JPG DSCN0318.JPG DSCN0319.JPG DSCN0320.JPG DSCN0321.JPG DSCN0322.JPG DSCN0323.JPG DSCN0324.JPG DSCN0325.JPG DSCN0326.JPG DSCN0327.JPG DSCN0328.JPG DSCN0329.JPG DSCN0330.JPG DSCN0331.JPG DSCN0332.JPG DSCN0333.JPG

Thanks for putting faces to the names Ray. Now I know what you and Matt look like. :)

That 1440 or the 1440 PM-RML are a couple of lathes I dream about. Doubt I'd use them to capacity, and I sure as heck don't have room for one, but it's nice to dream...

Bill

Thanks for the pictures - barring a snow storm who doesn't love driving through mountains? It is good to see the pictures of the PM set up and the people behind it. Nice to see that they check out their (our) machines upon receipt and make sure that they are deserving of our hard saved dollars. They are building a well deserved good name.
Michael

Thanks for the cool pics, looks like your having a nice visit. I envy you, being able to check out all the equipment he offers. I've been drooling over the lathes he offers for more than a month typing to decide which one I need.... Er.. Want.

Ray,
Thanks for taking time to document the trip. I must admit I'm jealous. In picture 9 it looks like you are showing the table from the X crank handle. What are the two handles side by side? The details are a bit hidden by the protective paper and shadows.
Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the pics ray. Very nice looking machines, I'm green with envy! Looking forward to more pics.

Ray,
Great post! Thanks for the pics! :drink:
It is nice to have faces to go with the names. It looks like Matt has a first class operation there, and deserves his hard worked for, good reputation. Hopefully my 1236 is in there!

I'm about to head-out for breakfast then visit the warehouse... I'll check on how many 1236's are here... I know they are rapidly getting things under control and they only have something like 10 machines to get out the door which takes a couple days.

Ray[

QUOTE=Morgan RedHawk;175860]Ray,
Great post! Thanks for the pics! :drink:
It is nice to have faces to go with the names. It looks like Matt has a first class operation there, and deserves his hard worked for, good reputation. Hopefully my 1236 is in there![/QUOTE]

Ray, the pictures are great. Looks like your getting a great tour. Looking forward to more pictures. I wouldn't mind having one of those 1440 here, just not in the budget.

Paul

I called again this morning and was told my equipment needed the DROs installed and should ship next week.

Back