Precision Ground Toolroom Stones

I plan to make a steel fixture for grinding my 4 X 1 stones, consisting of a channel that is wide enough for the stones plus 2 layers of notepad cardboard. There will be set screws along one side to put even force on the stone and a plate at the end for support. I'll pregrind the bottom so the stone will be held flat (or on 3 points as necessary). When I'm done the jig I'll post a photo or 2.

I believe Bert's diamond stones are vitrified bond, I'll check with him on this.

My diamond stones are coming as resin bond (cheap, less than 20$ CDN each). I know that you can't put much pressure or generate much heat or the resin is toast. I'll be plunge cutting as well, but in tenths with very slow hand wheel feeding, and waits at the end of each pass. I won't be using coolant, even though I have the setup. I don't intend to clean up 100% of the faces, so if there's a little around the edge not flat, NBD. I want to get to the end result for this test with as little fuss as possible.... About the jig - for a very experienced grinder hand, I'm sure the finger boards are very safe. I'm absolute novice to SG, and rely on Bert for my info. For this test I'm much more comfortable making the jig. Maybe one day I'll make finger boards and try it. -- When I've got a lot more miles on the grinder.

I worry if the parts are just blocked in, then there is too little pressure on the stone to keep it from vibrating and moving. just my $.02.
Please keep us in the loop on your progress and any additional recommendations and cautions you and Bert come up with. I really like your fixture idea, and may borrow it.

I re-read the latest comments on Robin's video last night and he used the same Shars 505-2233 resin bond wheel that I purchased. It is nice to know that it worked for him...

I noticed he did the edges using his toolmakers vise; I will try to use my vise instead of a jig, since my stones are only 4" long...

I noticed he did the edges using his toolmakers vise; I will try to use my vise instead of a jig, since my stones are only 4" long...
Yes, I was looking at that, too. With precision parallels under the free hanging sides, it would probably work just fine, even on my 6" stones.

So $500 for a set that's ready to use IS out of the question for most people.
What would be a reasonable price?

Well, anyone who wants a pair and does not have a good surface grinder and an appropriate diamond wheel is a potential customer. Making them to the required tolerances is not something that can be done with a cobbled together setup. The stones alone cost $30+. Not being a professional, I have little idea of the actual time it would take to make a set and handle the transaction. More machine time will be needed than most might guess. There are also a few expendables and some shop overhead costs involved. The real question becomes what you can make them for and make a reasonable profit, and how large the run might be at that price. Just my view of it, I have the required stuff and will be making my own. Perhaps a head count of those who might be interested in a pair of precision stones might give an idea of the tentative interest out there. Buyer cost is still the important factor in how many would be interested.

I'm also making myself a pair of mini stones. I don't expect my first try to be right in any way. After spending the time to learn how to do it effectively I could then predict what it would be worth to make up the stones. Not that I'm in the business of manufacturing anything, but some kind of small incentive is needed to take me away from my projects!

It would be only right to know how much the diamond wheel is worn out by making each pair - at 80$+ US, I hope the wear isn't too excessive. (Name brand stones are 3 times the price, but may last longer).

I've already planned to make some sets as gifts for a couple of friends that have done me favours in the last year. I'm hoping that short run will give me the experience to determine a fair price for someone who doesn't have a good SG setup.

I still have some testing to do, but I'm looking at offering these in different sizes and shapes.

I can do the 6 X 2 X 1 , 8 X 2 X 1 and the slip stone shape.

I'm also going to try a set of smaller stones. 1/2 X 1/2 X 4 and 1/2 triangle X 4.

Wondering if offering them on Ebay would be a good start.

I still have some testing to do, but I'm looking at offering these in different sizes and shapes.

I can do the 6 X 2 X 1 , 8 X 2 X 1 and the slip stone shape.

I'm also going to try a set of smaller stones. 1/2 X 1/2 X 4 and 1/2 triangle X 4.

Wondering if offering them on Ebay would be a good start.
The smaller ones sound like a good idea.

Usually a granite rubbing block is used to detect burrs, when I worked we ground a stone on the surface grinder with the regular wheel.

Back