Powered Hacksaws

fireguy976

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I am looking to either build a compact power hacksaw, or keep my eyes out for an old vintage.

Anyone have one they love and want to share comments and pics about? or if you have built one, share the plans?

Thanks,
Merry Christmas,

Ken J

I have been looking/thinking the same. I have come to the conclusion that building is prob beyond my skill set and current tool capabilities (I don't have a mill or a welder). I am seriously thinking my next purchase is a portable band saw.

I just bought an older Craftsman 108.1502 power hacksaw off Craigslist in Allentown PA for $80. It appears to be made by Covel. They are around from time to time. To make your own, look up "myfordboy power hacksaw" on Youtube. He also sells plans for his homemade power hacksaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Tu_zoO828

Also google "Atlas 4350" for their version. Very similar.

Portable electric hacksaw is a viable option too, depending on your needs. I have seen where they have been mounted into a stand with a table for a small vertical band saw arrangement.

Bryan

I have an old "arm strong powered" hack saw. The frame is a BluePoint (I think) and is in terrific shape, althought the power unit in nearing 60 years old and gets weaker every year! As long as you keep a good blade in it and are not in a big hurry, it usually gets the job done for my minor jobs. For anything heavier I use my electric powered 4 x 6 horizontal bandsaw!

Good Luck!

Very wise choice Ken, tell the truth I cant get along without one. One of the most used
machines in the shop. Mine a Robertson made in 1914 quite heavy which is always a good
thing hydraulic down feed oiler and auto stop. Although like a shaper they are a 50%
machine V/s a bandsaw which is a 100% machine. I just find them more accurite and
blades are cheap and last longer in my book and blades can be bought locally. Matter of
fact I gave away a quality bandsaw just because of mail ordering blades always in the middle
of a job. I think the locals dont stock them cause there is a gazillion styles, shapes and
lenghts and they dont want to be stuck with them. Most people here have seen my photos
but I'll show again incase you havent seen them. As you see heavy castings means ridged.
And be advised these things are around . This one I got for -0- was going to the dump,
he had no clue what it was.

oil pump.jpg full view.jpg

One of the very few tools in my shop that can't be bought by a sane person.

DSCN1288.JPG DSCN1289.JPG DSCN1290.JPG

Hi Gary just curious, whats the (looks like) a tention knob on the top for.

sam

If you just want to cut something simple get a Craftsman Twin Saw: Video

Cuts almost anything. I've been using one for years. Takes up no shop space.

Not good for thick steel though.

Gary

Ken,

This is my Marvel #1 power hacksaw. It's one of the handiest tools in the shop, I would never want to be without it. Don't let the size fool you, very heavy and rigid and more important, cuts are very accurate. It's not the fastest cutting machine in the world, but neither am I. It has an auto stop switch so when cutting thick pieces of steel you can do something else while it does it's thing. I've used porta-bands and they are ok and faster, but not as accurate. As far as horizontal bandsaws go, all I've used are the small low end imports which in my opinion aren't worth the powder to blow them up with. I'm sure the larger higher quality ones are much better. Best 50 bucks I ever spent for the saw, stand, and extra Starrett blades you see in the picture. By the way, the blades last forever.:))

IMG_0729.JPG

Back