Power King Drill Press

alandarkdale

Active User
Registered
Rummage sale find for $10 this morning: Does that make this a tool gloat? Photos taken with my other find this morning. 8 megapixel Nikon point and Shoot for $20. I know that is a good score.

Power King Tool Co., Warsaw, Indiana

Everything on the press seems to work but very sluggish, tear down and clean up should take care of that.

The motor reportedly only hums. It would not turn by hand until the mud dauber nests broke. Dissassembly in order there too.

(Interesting, photos do not show in edit window but do show when posted.)

DSCN1519.JPG DSCN1521.JPG

If that doesn't count as a tool gloat, I don't know what does. Nice score on both.

I suspect cleaning out the bugs and their nests will get the motor working. A bit of mud in the starting contacts would make it hum for sure.

Here are a couple more shots. DSCN1522.JPGThe "motor that goes with it" was on the floor next to the bench where I found it. After cranking on the shaft a bit lots of chunks of mud dauber nest came out. Took it apart, cleared the crud but it still would not come to life. Not too great a loss. The base is that of a bench grinder, complete with hole for a rocker switch. There are two shafts, both of which wobble and need to be trued.
One eBay purchase later I have a nice "new" age appropriate motor for the Power King Drill Press.

DSCN1526.JPGSpindle bearings needed to be replaced. They were a pain to get out but the new ones popped right in place. I did electrolysis derust on most of the castings and then painted with Rustoleum Hammered paint, green to match most of the rest of my shop trim.

According to research Atlas bought them in 1947 so this has to be pre-'47. My drill press is older than I am by at least 11 years.
DSCN1530.JPG On another front, well actually the other end of the basement, I have been digging to finish said basement. 20 years ago the house had only a crawl space. This little room is the last of the digging. 6' x 10'. There is about 2' of dirt and then about 4' of rock. The bottom of this photo is floor level with a pile of rock picked out and ready to be loaded out in 5 gallon buckets. Done by Christmas I hope.

DSCN1522.JPG DSCN1526.JPG DSCN1530.JPG

Nice job on the drill press, AND on the basement!

I know this is old thread, but I bought a power king 611 drill press. I love it. I would like to remove some of the runout in the quill as it spins. I ordered some new bushings and replacement v belt from sears for it. They do carry some parts for the power king tool corp items surprisingly. I guess since Atlas took over power king that would make sense. Does anyone know if this will remove some of the run out? I have not recieved them yet but I have hopes they remove some of the play in quill. Other idea was to have a sleeve or sleeves turned to take up some of slop. Drill press is actually good shape given its age and how many owners it been passed down through. I use this to turn my 6mm PPC case necks with. Also if you need to use a stop, I ordered a 5/8" split collar with hex screw. It works great. I just slid over top of drill shaft and clamp it tight where I need it to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
So I looked at the quill a little more. The slop as it turns out ic coming from between the main cast frame and the quill itself. The rotor shaft is pretty free of any slop. So Im thinking counter bore casting for press fit bushing and turn the bushing ID with a slip fit. This should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am trying to convert one of these to a milling machine and have a pretty workable set up but I would like to see if I can reduce the tendency to chatter when pushed.

MILL3.JPG

I would like to see if any improvement can be made in the bearings or bushings but am at a loss to figure out how to get it apart. I have a manual for it but it's not at all obvious how to get the spindle out. The pulley needs to come off but something it preventing this.

Any ideas?

Jack

I am trying to convert one of these to a milling machine and have a pretty workable set up but I would like to see if I can reduce the tendency to chatter when pushed.

View attachment 302798

I would like to see if any improvement can be made in the bearings or bushings but am at a loss to figure out how to get it apart. I have a manual for it but it's not at all obvious how to get the spindle out. The pulley needs to come off but something it preventing this.

Any ideas?

Jack

Hey Jack

How’s the progress on the drill press?
I have had one come up for sale and am wondering th same as you, that is can you remove

Hey Jack,

I have had one come up for sale here and am wondering the same as you, that is can the run out be removed

Thanks

Hey Jack,

I have had one come up for sale here and am wondering the same as you, that is can the run out be removed

Thanks

Turns out the runout was easy to fix in this case.

I bit the bullet and removed the chuck to see if it was systemic or just the chuck.

When I measured the spindle runout, it was nominally zero where the spindle was clean. A previous owner appears to have had chuck fallout problems and "fixed" it with epoxy. After cleaning up the spindle and the chuck taper, it is now less than 3 mils, down from about 12 but the chuck would not stay but a few drops of super glue fixed that. Apparently CA did not exist back then and epoxy was the fix at the time.

I also have learned that there are not only different brands but serious design differences in the rebranded versions. I found 3 different manuals and only one agreed with mine in a very serious way.

Turns out mine (PowerKing logo) has one continuous oilite type bushing the entire length (6") of the quill. The others and all other drill presses I have seen, have small bearings or bushings at the top and bottom of the quill.

I think this pretty much deals with the issues of side thrust when used as a mill. You couldn't ask for a bearing more suited to side thrust than this.

I have another thread going on this topic... https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pulley-ratios-vs-the-real-world.78380/

Here is a pic of the current configuration with the new XY table and the home brew trans feed that is still a work in progress but working.

MILLB14.JPG

Back