Power Feed?

epanzella

Active User
Registered
My son got a Phillip Smith lathe as part of an estate. The previous owner is long deceased and no info is available. We are trying to get the power feed to work. The feed rod and the leadscrew are both turning. The half nuts work fine. There are 2 small knurled wheels on the apron. I think the smaller wheel to the right is for cross feed but it just spins. Broken? The knurled wheel to the left right below the cross feed hand wheel turns when the feed rod is turning but I can't seem to get it to advance the carriage. I think it's the control for the power long feed. If you move the carriage with the large hand wheel, the nut in the center of that knurled wheel turns independently of the wheel itself. The lever at the far right is the half nut control. There is a bit of play when pulling this wheel in and out but I can't get it to engage anything. Any ideas on getting thim power feed going?

carriage 3.JPG carriage 1.JPG carriage 2.JPG

It could be a clutch system like a Southbend. I would say some combination of push/pull/twist would make it work. Probably needs a good cleaning and lube. Maybe the half nut interlock (if equipped) is stuck.

Back