Power Feed Randomly Skips a Beat

The binding I’m noticing is pretty severe at times, even locking up the works at times when I’m turning the spindle by hand. It seems to happen more frequently when I’m manually turning it in reverse.

The original/first owner made a hand crank from an MT4 sleeve, some 1/2” threaded rod and a shop built aluminum handle. When I’m chasing the threads on valuable/irreplaceable parts from the battleship’s guns I often use the hand crank instead of the motor to prevent destroying anything or at least until I’m certain that the tool is perfectly aligned. I’ve had to repair the threads on some big bronze bushing/nuts that locate the hinge shafts for 5” gun breech blocks. With a good, sharp HSS bit it’s surprisingly easy to cut threads with the crank.

Break’s over. Back to the shop for now. I’m making new screws for an assembly for the 5” gun sights. They’re 1.125” x 7 tpi left hand x 18” long. They’re being made from all thread since my lathe won’t cut 7 tpi or left hand threads. I’ll post that over in member projects when they’re finished.

Back