Power feed for a Bridgeport

danpatch

Registered
Registered
I need a power feed fro my Bridgeport. I see the China ones on Ebay are they any good.

There appear to be two major categories of power feed drives available - "Servo" and "Import."

I know nothing about the servo drives.

The "Import" drives all appear to be manufactured by Align, a Chinese supplier now represented in the US by Bestline.

http://www.bestlinepro.com/power-feeds.asp

Bestline seems to be a pretty good outfit, and they sell repair parts for all the Align units (except mine, which is too durn old - they changed the size of the motor brushes a bunch of years ago :( ).

Take a look at Bestline's power feeds, and I'll bet many of the ones you find on eBay are the same units. The "recognition feature" is a ball-ended directional lever with a speed control knob on its axis. Assuming they're Align or Bestline brand, they should all be OK. They use a reversible bushed AC motor, controlled by a relatively simple SCR circuit. Other than worn out brushes, the unit (dated 1988) I got with the used mill I bought is still going strong.

MSC, Enco and Grizzly all sell the Align power feeds. At least part of the huge proliferation of model numbers is due to the various mechanical "interfaces" for various types of mills.

Best wishes!

I recently bought the Enco model when it was on sale. It had a lot of shim washers and the instructions were less than helpful. I guess I got it installed correctly because it works well. Everything I need for hobby use. If it lasts I'll call it a great deal.

If I had to find a power feed for my Bridgeport, I would look into a used OE unit and rebuild whatever was necessary, which is usually not very much. No plastic gears in the OE units, they were built for hard continuous use. Parts are still available for units manufactured more than 20 or so years ago. Will replacement parts be available for Servo or Chinese copies in a few years?

My Bridgeport came with an 8F drive. A new set of brushes and a pair of O rings and some new gear oil made the unit run like new again.

If I had to find a power feed for my Bridgeport, I would look into a used OE unit and rebuild whatever was necessary, which is usually not very much. No plastic gears in the OE units, they were built for hard continuous use. Parts are still available for units manufactured more than 20 or so years ago. Will replacement parts be available for Servo or Chinese copies in a few years?

My Bridgeport came with an 8F drive. A new set of brushes and a pair of O rings and some new gear oil made the unit run like new again.

That was my first choice but they are tough to come across here. If I found an OE feed at reasonable price, I would still snap it up cause your right about the plastic gears and parts in the imports.

I looked into a Servo unit to replace a 6F BP on a 1977 BP and the unit was in the $900.00 range and the adapter kit was around $400.00, so I'm still turning the handle. The Chinese units are good for most hobby machines but they don't make a replacement for the 6F, at least the where I have looked.

If your BP is not too old the cheaper units should work fine, I have several friends who use them for hobby/occasional work and they work well.

That was my first choice but they are tough to come across here. If I found an OE feed at reasonable price, I would still snap it up cause your right about the plastic gears and parts in the imports.

Go to www.machineryvalues.com

973-497-7500.

I bought my lathe and mill from Dave Vallitt (Not sure of the last name spelling). If anyone has OE drive units to sell, he does. Very honest down to earth guy.

I need a power feed fro my Bridgeport. I see the China ones on Ebay are they any good.
I think it depends on your mill use ... if for hobby/intermittent repair use, the import will work fine. I have both on my Series 1 mill. A Servo 140 on my table x-axis and an import ALSGS AL0510S 150 on my knee z-axis. I made my own mounting bracket for the import as the one that came with it looked a little flimsy. The import has no problem at all raising the knee with a heavy 48" table with a 100# vice on top. I bought my import unit from CDCO Machinery which ships from IL so the delivery is reasonable (assuming he has the item is stock at the time). If my Servo 140 craps out in the future, I would not hesitate to replace it with the 150# version from CDCO. They are 75% cheaper than Servo and work just fine. Just my $0.02 worth. Bill

Knee Lift.jpg

Hey Dan. glad to see someone I know on the forum. I just installed one of those import table power feeds on my Bridgeport about 6 months ago. Haven't had any problems with it. It doesn't just "bolt on" tho.

Mutt in Wills Point, Texas

Back