Power 24 volt DC Motor

Rich suggestion is a good one. At half voltage they will have 1/4 max watts out, but for your purpose that may be ok. Speed will be half as well.

David

For what a 24 volt power supply is going to cost to run those motors, I would be looking for a couple used gear motors and using them instead.
I am betting that you can get a used motor with a gear reduction for the cost of the power supply.

If you are set on doing it. I figure you could locate a 24 volt forklift battery changer that would do the job but 24 volts at 35 amps is going to be 220 most likely. Most of the power supplies you seek are going to be transformer based and about 60% efficient.

If you are dedicated to the effort, look at Duracomm's web site and give them a call.
They should be able to help you out but it's not going to come cheap.

A 3/4 hp motor puts out 560 watts of power. The electrical power in will be somewhat higher. At 24 volts, that works out to around 23 amps. 3/4 hp is not a lot of motor for a mill so I would expect that you would be loading the motor fairly well and need the better part of that 23 amps.

As an aside, if the motor is not a permanent magnet type, you should be able to run it on ac. You would then just require a transformer which is easier to find than a dc power supply at that current draw..

Well I have come up with something I plan to try. The motors when spun basically become generators.
I hooked the 2 .75 motors together and as I spun it by hand the other one spun at about the same speed.
I am going to try and power one of them from a 120 volt AC motor.
What are you thoughts on this working. Any protection like fuses etc I need to put between them?
Will I need to try and match the specified rpms? What if I turn them at 1750?
What am I overlooking here?

If the output RPM is 320 then turning them at 1750 may cause issues. Figure that the motor is spinning at 1750 or so when the output shaft is running 320. So if you spin the shaft at 1750 the motor will be turning along at just shy of 10K RPM. Gonna guess that the motor will not be impressed.

.....and if any of them use worm-gear speed reduction, you won't be able to turn those output shafts!
-brino

you may be able to remove the gear reduction units from the motors and devise further from ther

Back