powder coating oven

No photos for the next bit but I decided to make a dedicated earth post.
I silver soldered two x 1meter lengths of hard drawn copper tube to make a 2 meter length, connected it to the hose pipe, turned it up full and started pushing it into the crap stuff we call soil here.
The top 500mm is dry sand/soil/gravel, next came a 800mm layer of dry clay finishing in fine sand.
Total time was approx 20 mins. Going through the clay was hard and was a sort of punch out a plug, lift to clear and re do.
I have never done this before and was totally surprised at how easy it was.

I had to pound in ground rods for my shop back in the day. Code at the time required them to be 6' down and at least 3' apart. We have clay soil so it was a bear to get that deep.

I'm impressed! What a project.
I don't remember, do you use electrostatic attraction in your spray booth? If so what do you use to power it, two balloons rubbed together or maybe a neon sign transformer? ;-}

I have a cheap gun from Eastwood with no choice of Kv.
The major test of large parts will be this week hopefully.

Keepin' the fingers crossed.
You've gotta show us the results right away no matter how bad they are.;)

The very first powder coated project.
All the black parts of the telescope stand and I must say I was extremely pleased with the finish and not difficult to do although its a bit messy with excess powder to clean up after spraying even in the booth.
stand-1.jpg
Being gloss black it doesnt show in the photo but everyone who has seen it remarks on the glossy finish.

Wow! beautiful job, and yes I can see reflections i.e. gloss finish. A major accomplishment albeit maybe a bit messy?
Very cool. Congratulations. The first time even!

Charles, AKA the grumpy one

Thanks Chuck. I am most impressed with the ease of use.
One lesson learnt is to make sure the hooks holding the items in the oven are strong enough to hold up.
The long section of the stand was held up with brass hook that straightened in the oven allowing the item to fall.
No damage to the oven but it did mar the paint at the top of the tube but it cant be seen as its covered up by the top aluminium casting. Phew!

Back