powder coating oven

Cool build or should I say HOT build.

I hope so Paco.
I'm at a stop for the moment as I believe I need all the electrics first to wire up correctly before I fit all the sheeting just in case there are routing difficulties.

Managed to fit the first of the inside section today.
It was really weird, something kept stroking my leg and my face inside the helmet.
Every time I started welding something brushed my face.
What on earth were these ghostly wafts?
Eventually I found it.
butterfly.jpg
It seems the U.V. was attracting it.
I folded this inner wall in three, welded one side to the frame then clamped the other side so I could cut it to size.

oven-11.jpg

I used a chisel to shear it to the corner.
oven-12.jpg
then welded this side.
oven-13.jpg
oven-14.jpg
Its starting to look the business.
I think I have a couple of fans arriving tomorow.

The fans were no good so I'm still searching.
Got the ceiling made, insulated and welded in both sides.
oven-15.jpg

Note the spot welds? I decided to use the holes all round the edge ans just spot welded them to the bracing bar.
I now have to grind the welds flat but got caught out through a lack of concentration
grinder.jpg
Made a cool noise.

Have trashed a cord or two over the years myself. I think the plug welds should work well for your build, fast and easy, with a pretty good finish. Mike

All the inside sheeting is done and I decided to spray the inside with exhaust manifold white paint.
Hopefully it wont chip off. The can ran out at this point so I knocked up the outer frame for the door.
I need to find an oven door with a glass front. so I can add a window. (I want to watch paint dry)
oven-16.jpg

door1.jpg

Found an element, 1x1000Kw and the other 1x1800Kw.
I think I will wire the 1x1000 on a separate circuit so it can be switched in and out as needed. My calcs appear to show 1700Kw is sufficient for the oven so got some power to spare.oven-17.jpg
The bottom shelf is a protector for the element so nothing can fall onto it.
The criss cross design is on both sides but the gaps on one side are covered by the sheets on the other so the air from the fan that feeds to the element can flow through it with ease.
oven-18.jpg

A wee bit more done during 34'C and 82% humidity and no wind.
Clamp a side sheet between 2 lengths of angle iron and use my trusty hammer to fold it at 90'
Then release it and hold it against the angle to get the fold to 45'
oven-20.jpg
I want this sheet to have a lip to hold the next sheets lip into so its flattened with a spacer inside the fold.
That orange aerosol capped can is the most important in the shop, mosquito repellent
oven-21.jpg
So I've got this far.
oven-22.jpg
The electrics are a circuit breaker, a switch and warning light for the fan, each element and the thermostat.
The copper pipe is the hanger and earth for the items being baked.
I opted to screw the sides on with tecs.
Its too uncomfortable to do any more. I got through 2 litres of water just folding those four edges of one sheet.

Looking good! Are you sure it is big enough?

Back