powder coating oven

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As if I didnt have enough on my plate I've had to start another project.
Thats right, I have to.
I've almost finished the refractor and its essential that I paint all the black parts.
Now as paint will scratch I have decided to powder coat them.
There is no way the minister for war and finance will release the funds necessary to pay the exorbitant prices that attracts so it only leaves me with one course of action.
YEAH! build one, but, it has to be virtually cost zero.
There are no plans so its suck it and see.
Luckily I had a pile of almost new 25mm angle iron, with a bit of care it should be enough.
First an outline frame, I have a bunch or 2 meter sheets of old dexion sheet from some shelving. so fold up the inside lining to see it it will fit and work.
oven-1.jpg
Thats the mirror grinding machine in the background.
Looks as if its a simple job.
So make a base and sheet it in.
A couple of bits of strapping to help support the base sheet.
oven-2.jpg
In my old profession there was a term used.
Rechaufe. In its basic meaning it just means re- heated but for the industry it really means "The utilisation of left overs".
So in keeping with that philosophy I sheeted in the base.
oven-3.jpg
Not pretty but serves its purpose and it wont be seen.
This was then covered in a layer of insulation fibre and sheeted to become the inside base.
Tacked first then continuous welded seams.oven-4.jpg
Those two vertical lengths of angle iron will be the rails for the shelf that will protect the heating elements.
Its not often I get this much done in a day so I feel good so far.

Good, you needed another project. ;) Sound like you will be going electric, I've kept the burner assembly's from a few furnaces and ovens with plans for a fair sized one. You might consider a small fan and wall duct to move air from the top down (convection style). Will be following along with interest. Cheers, Mike

Yep, looking for an axial fan from an old aircon, I have a heap of old olive oil tins that could make the duct.
The idea of the shelf is to have large holes on one layer with smaller holes on the next layer without any of them lining up so nothing drops on the heater elements and it should slow the air stream down so as not to disturb the powder.
I've got a length of copper tube to make a water drill for the earth as well.
The insulation is a heap of left over batts from the roof void of the house that was just filling up the space doing nothing.

Theres a ton of good info on that site.

I just looked at what I think will be th largest part I want to powdercoat and made it half again as large.
(well I might get aperture fever, it has been known)

Starting on the inlet louvre, first off a cardboard template.
oven-5.jpg
Transfered to the sheet and cut with a sharp chisel.
oven-6.jpg
some bending in my poor mans sheet bender.
oven-7.jpg
one of the side pieces in the bender with a hammer and steel dolly
oven-9.jpg
all clamped in place prior to welding and riviting.
This is the section the heating elements will be sitting in.
oven-910.jpg
Thats all for today

That is going to be really nice. I myself went the cheap and easy route, I bought one for $25 off a Craig's List add or might have been a newspaper add, don't remember anymore. Mounted it on a rolling chassis. My problem is that the I can always use a bigger one. Looks like your is going to be bigger than my 30 inch.

Oven - 1.JPG Oven -2.JPG

Charles,
Have you ever checked out the recycling depot at the Stuart tip? They have anything and everything

Cheers Phil

Back