• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

powder coating oven

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
As if I didnt have enough on my plate I've had to start another project.
Thats right, I have to.
I've almost finished the refractor and its essential that I paint all the black parts.
Now as paint will scratch I have decided to powder coat them.
There is no way the minister for war and finance will release the funds necessary to pay the exorbitant prices that attracts so it only leaves me with one course of action.
YEAH! build one, but, it has to be virtually cost zero.
There are no plans so its suck it and see.
Luckily I had a pile of almost new 25mm angle iron, with a bit of care it should be enough.
First an outline frame, I have a bunch or 2 meter sheets of old dexion sheet from some shelving. so fold up the inside lining to see it it will fit and work.
oven-1.jpg
Thats the mirror grinding machine in the background.
Looks as if its a simple job.
So make a base and sheet it in.
A couple of bits of strapping to help support the base sheet.
oven-2.jpg
In my old profession there was a term used.
Rechaufe. In its basic meaning it just means re- heated but for the industry it really means "The utilisation of left overs".
So in keeping with that philosophy I sheeted in the base.
oven-3.jpg
Not pretty but serves its purpose and it wont be seen.
This was then covered in a layer of insulation fibre and sheeted to become the inside base.
Tacked first then continuous welded seams. oven-4.jpg
Those two vertical lengths of angle iron will be the rails for the shelf that will protect the heating elements.
Its not often I get this much done in a day so I feel good so far.

FOMOGO

Active User
Good, you needed another project. ;) Sound like you will be going electric, I've kept the burner assembly's from a few furnaces and ovens with plans for a fair sized one. You might consider a small fan and wall duct to move air from the top down (convection style). Will be following along with interest. Cheers, Mike

savarin

Active User
Yep, looking for an axial fan from an old aircon, I have a heap of old olive oil tins that could make the duct.
The idea of the shelf is to have large holes on one layer with smaller holes on the next layer without any of them lining up so nothing drops on the heater elements and it should slow the air stream down so as not to disturb the powder.
I've got a length of copper tube to make a water drill for the earth as well.
The insulation is a heap of left over batts from the roof void of the house that was just filling up the space doing nothing.

savarin

Active User
I just looked at what I think will be th largest part I want to powdercoat and made it half again as large.
(well I might get aperture fever, it has been known)

savarin

Active User
Starting on the inlet louvre, first off a cardboard template.
oven-5.jpg
Transfered to the sheet and cut with a sharp chisel.
oven-6.jpg
some bending in my poor mans sheet bender.
oven-7.jpg
one of the side pieces in the bender with a hammer and steel dolly
oven-9.jpg
all clamped in place prior to welding and riviting.
This is the section the heating elements will be sitting in.
oven-910.jpg
Thats all for today

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
That is going to be really nice. I myself went the cheap and easy route, I bought one for $25 off a Craig's List add or might have been a newspaper add, don't remember anymore. Mounted it on a rolling chassis. My problem is that the I can always use a bigger one. Looks like your is going to be bigger than my 30 inch.

Oven - 1.JPG Oven -2.JPG

12bolts

Global Moderator
Staff member
Charles,
Have you ever checked out the recycling depot at the Stuart tip? They have anything and everything

Cheers Phil

savarin

Active User
I had thought of them Phil but I think I will use new elements.
The glass from an oven door would be nice but I would get a fair bit of grief bringing a complete cooker to dismantle for a few bits.

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
oven 1b.jpg I started designing a powder coat oven from an idea I saw somewhere. Sample picture of a drawing (TurboCad, but can convert) here. To be made from steel 2x4 (or 2x6) studs. Pop riveted or tack welded together. Filled with regular house rolled insulation and sheathed with sheet metal. Elements would be recessed and circulation via exterior fan and duct work. That way the interior is unobstructed. I have a half dozen or so drawings - almost but not complete. Would be happy to share if it would help anyone.

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
Savarin,

Don't forget to incorporate some type of hanging racks and hooks.

savarin

Active User
already on it Randy.
I'm also considering using a poly liner to the oven for a spray booth in the oven so the parts can stay grounded from start to finish and do not have to be moved or touched.
The liner will collapse down to the bottom so excess powder can be collected.
Maybe this is a silly idea but I wont know until I try.
The sort of things I will be coating are too large for more than one item at a time.

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
already on it Randy.
I'm also considering using a poly liner to the oven for a spray booth in the oven so the parts can stay grounded from start to finish and do not have to be moved or touched.
The liner will collapse down to the bottom so excess powder can be collected.
Maybe this is a silly idea but I wont know until I try.
The sort of things I will be coating are too large for more than one item at a time.
Sounds like you have it all under control. Let us know how your system works out. I know I have pushed my little oven to the limit for the size of some items, sure wished it were bigger.

Bill Gruby

Global Moderator
Staff member
We had a really big one at GM. Used it to coat the Saturn Water Pumps. The Pumps were hung, sprayed and sent thru on an overheat conveyor. Coated 12oo pumps at a time.

"Billy G"

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
We had a really big one at GM. Used it to coat the Saturn Water Pumps. The Pumps were hung, sprayed and sent thru on an overheat conveyor. Coated 12oo pumps at a time.

"Billy G"
Now, there's a power bill I'd not want to pay.

Bill Gruby

Global Moderator
Staff member
Parts started thru at 10:00 AM and were out, ready to finish assemble in 2 hours. The oven ran on all three shifts. 3600 finished pumps went to Brentwood, Tn. every day 7 days a week.

"Billy G"

savarin

Active User
I dont think I will get very close to that kind of output Bill:grin:

Bill Gruby

Global Moderator
Staff member
You say that now but I remember the Binoculars.. LOL

"Billy G"

savarin

Active User
I hope so Paco.
I'm at a stop for the moment as I believe I need all the electrics first to wire up correctly before I fit all the sheeting just in case there are routing difficulties.

savarin

Active User
Managed to fit the first of the inside section today.
It was really weird, something kept stroking my leg and my face inside the helmet.
Every time I started welding something brushed my face.
What on earth were these ghostly wafts?
Eventually I found it.
butterfly.jpg
It seems the U.V. was attracting it.
I folded this inner wall in three, welded one side to the frame then clamped the other side so I could cut it to size.

oven-11.jpg

I used a chisel to shear it to the corner.
oven-12.jpg
then welded this side.
oven-13.jpg
oven-14.jpg
Its starting to look the business.
I think I have a couple of fans arriving tomorow.

savarin

Active User
The fans were no good so I'm still searching.
Got the ceiling made, insulated and welded in both sides.
oven-15.jpg

Note the spot welds? I decided to use the holes all round the edge ans just spot welded them to the bracing bar.
I now have to grind the welds flat but got caught out through a lack of concentration
grinder.jpg
Made a cool noise.

FOMOGO

Active User
Have trashed a cord or two over the years myself. I think the plug welds should work well for your build, fast and easy, with a pretty good finish. Mike

savarin

Active User
All the inside sheeting is done and I decided to spray the inside with exhaust manifold white paint.
Hopefully it wont chip off. The can ran out at this point so I knocked up the outer frame for the door.
I need to find an oven door with a glass front. so I can add a window. (I want to watch paint dry)
oven-16.jpg

door1.jpg

savarin

Active User
Found an element, 1x1000Kw and the other 1x1800Kw.
I think I will wire the 1x1000 on a separate circuit so it can be switched in and out as needed. My calcs appear to show 1700Kw is sufficient for the oven so got some power to spare. oven-17.jpg
The bottom shelf is a protector for the element so nothing can fall onto it.
The criss cross design is on both sides but the gaps on one side are covered by the sheets on the other so the air from the fan that feeds to the element can flow through it with ease.
oven-18.jpg

savarin

Active User
A wee bit more done during 34'C and 82% humidity and no wind.
Clamp a side sheet between 2 lengths of angle iron and use my trusty hammer to fold it at 90'
Then release it and hold it against the angle to get the fold to 45'
oven-20.jpg
I want this sheet to have a lip to hold the next sheets lip into so its flattened with a spacer inside the fold.
That orange aerosol capped can is the most important in the shop, mosquito repellent
oven-21.jpg
So I've got this far.
oven-22.jpg
The electrics are a circuit breaker, a switch and warning light for the fan, each element and the thermostat.
The copper pipe is the hanger and earth for the items being baked.
I opted to screw the sides on with tecs.
Its too uncomfortable to do any more. I got through 2 litres of water just folding those four edges of one sheet.

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
Looking good! Are you sure it is big enough?

Container Above bottom breadcrumb