2017 POTD Thread Archive

BTW is it possible to take the joints apart to shorten it?

I believe so. They sell a special "pliers" to make popping the segments apart easier bit I'm thinking you can do it sans the tool with a little grunting.
The joints can be separated quite easily. A sharp bend will pop them. The pliers are for reassembling the joints. It can be done without the pliers but it is difficult.

While I was turning down more of the spindle yesterday. Yep, you guessed it. I decided to make a change on the design. It's been a while since I designed anything and I guess I forgot a few things.
Made me wonder how many people change things from their original design as they go along.

Bill said "Made me wonder how many people change things from their original design as they go along.?

Isn't that the way its supposed to happen? Takes all the fun out of it if you plan ahead too much.;)

While I was turning down more of the spindle yesterday. Yep, you guessed it. I decided to make a change on the design. It's been a while since I designed anything and I guess I forgot a few things.
Made me wonder how many people change things from their original design as they go along.
I do more than I care to think about. Typically, I will model all but the simplest projects in SolidWorks before making any cuts so I have a fairly good idea of what the finished project will look like. This tends to reduce "engineering changes" greatly. However, there are numerous instances when I will realize that there is a better way to accomplish the task. Sometimes these result in gotcha's when they adversely affect a different part of the project.

In the spirit of cleaning the shop? is there a usable 12V power supply inside an old CRT monitor? Before I consign it to the dump?

In the spirit of cleaning the shop? is there a usable 12V power supply inside an old CRT monitor? Before I consign it to the dump?
Probably nothing worth keeping. I have scrapped out quite a few and don't remember keeping any power supplies. I may have kept a transformer or two but they are generally fairly low power. With 12 volt wall warts so common, it doesn't make a lot of sense to build your own supply.

I can now dispose of it with a clear conscious. Thank goodness, and thank you, RJ.

With the advent of switching power supplies which are light and cheap and much higher efficiency and available in just about any voltage and power (amps//watts)
and did I mention cheap (on eBay) I don't think of transformers for the smaller items anymore.

I used to have a big 32" Sony CRT tv. The sound quit working on it. A friend that had just gotten a big new flat screen gave me another identical 32" Sony tv. The older one sat in my living room for months as I tried to give it away — with no takers.

Finally, I got tired of it sitting there and being so stupendously heavy, so I decided to take it to the curb. As I was hauling it out, I still had doubts as to whether I should toss it. But, it was big and very heavy and I wanted rid of it.

As I was lugging it down the front steps, I slipped and dropped it. Glass inside of it was showering down and tinkled inside. I had obviously caused it great harm. Since it was broken, I lost all reservations about taking it to the curb and hauled it out there with a two-wheeler.

I set it down by the curb and as I walked off, glass was still tinkling and falling inside it. It had been several minutes since I dropped it. I found that to be liberating and amusing.

Back