Possible Heavy 10 Purchase Feedback

I own a SB 10K (the light 10) and I can tell you with 100% certitude that the lathe pictured is a Heavy 10.

It's a later model with the large dials which is good, probably in the sixties. You could look up the manufactured date with the serial number. Also looks like it has the extra-range QCGB which is nice. You need to find out the spindle bore size as they did make some with the small bore (10R). I think this particular lathe has a threaded spindle and not the D1-4 cam lock.

Beyond that, you can't tell much from pictures over the internet. It can look pretty but be completely worn out. Remember, an old lathe is going to need some work (at least a felt overhaul) even in the best of conditions, so if that is scary you would be better-off with a new lathe.

Thanks Doogie, that is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Is not having a D1-4 spindle a huge deal? I know it makes it easier to change chucks, but is there any accuracy advantage?

I should have some better answers tomorrow. Hopefully it is still available so I can check it out Saturday.

I am not afraid of a little work, but don't want to do a complete overhaul. I am also thinking I can spend $2500 by the time I get this home or $4-$7k on a PM. That is a pretty big difference. Granted, they would have DRO's.

Actually I would say with a threaded spindle it's easier to change chucks, but a cam-lock should be _slightly_ more accurate and you don't have to worry about the chuck spinning off if you run the lathe in reverse. That's why they are more desirable and increase the value of the lathe.

To replace the felts you pretty much have to pull the lathe apart and put it back together again. I did it on mine and actually found it interesting, but it might not be everyone's cup-of-tea.

If you got the money, it's pretty hard to beat a 1340GT from what I've read in these forums.

I could do it, but I really don't plan on using it all of the time and if I can save $4k on the lathe, I can buy a nice mill now vs waiting. Trying to keep my cash layout reasonable for the actual amount of work I will use them for.

Here's the one i got
IMG_0040.JPG
This is it after a month .5
IMG_0003.JPG
Took a little doing, but I like it,
this is it now drawers are good.
IMG_0673.JPG
Sprint car tire mats work good too.

Look up how to Buy a lathe here , check bed ware , spindle , saddle, compound,
Taper attachment's have telescopic sliding x feed screw & gear shafts $$,

Wow looks like a great original heavy 10,large dials,thread dial, 5c collets even looks like you might have a buck set true chuck,that also is a great price for the lathe.Do search on heavy 10 you will see many think this is perfect home shop lathe.USA is nice also.
fred

I am going to go check it out tomorrow. It is 3 phase which is good, I will just have to get a VFD which isn't a big deal. I hope it is as good in person as it is in the pictures.

Sorry, but another question. Assuming the machine is mechanically sound, what is the most you think it is worth? I think I can buy it for $1850 and then I will look to ship it. I expect that is probably $500. Is this lathe worth $2350 plus another $250 for a VFD? Again, it does have a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and collet chuck.

I would then basically be at $1000 difference compared to a new PM1236 with 3 year warranty. Decisions, Decisions....

I have absolutely no business commenting on this. I don't own a South Bend machine (used them, though) and I don't own a PM (like what I SEE Matt do for others, though). I was just reflecting on my own past dilemma about 5 years ago and sympathized with you.

I was looking at a really well tooled Sheldon for about what that heavy 10 cost and it was in nice shape. What I really wanted was an Emco Super 11 but those are rarer than hen's teeth around here. I also considered PM and after really thinking about it, I was just about ready to buy one from Matt when my dream lathe magically appeared on CL and I jumped. My Super 11 had less than 100 hours on it, came with nearly 4K worth of tooling and accessories so it was a no brainer. BUT I remember what I was thinking at the time.

I had to decide whether I wanted to have a brand new PM lathe, purchased from a company with a stellar reputation for support after the sale. The lathe would be new, with a warranty,would have come with a D1-4 camlock and would have come with most of the accessories I needed to get up and running. OR I could have the Sheldon and would have had to contend with 50 years of wear on every single sliding component, hidden problems and then have the associated issues with finding a steady rest, follow rest, an other gear that I needed to have a decent set up - and those pieces would have their own wear issues, too. Then I would have had to transport the thing. To be honest, the wear and tear on the ways and the leadscrew (the Sheldon didn't have a drive shaft for power feed) was what gave me the most pause about that Sheldon. My mind was made up to go with a PM until that Emco popped up and then it was no contest.

I enjoy restoring old machines and giving them a new lease on life, and I've done it many times. There is joy in joining the "Old Iron" club, too. For me, though, a lathe is a key machine in my shop. I want it to be accurate and I don't want to work around 50 years of wear and tear, so I bought what was essentially a new machine. No regrets, but I sure wish I could talk to the guy who ended up with that Sheldon. It looked as good in pics as your potential Heavy 10 does and I wonder what could have been.

Last edited:
Back