Possible Heavy 10 Purchase Feedback

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
ok, so I have asked about a few different lathes over the last few weeks and appreciate everyone feedback. I almost went ahead and ordered a new PM1236 (or maybe even a PM1340gt) today. They are 3-4 weeks out so in my usual non-comittal way, I am still looking.

I am headed to visit my brother so I figured I would see what is available around him and I ran across this heavy 10. I am new to Lathes, but it appears to be in good shape at first glance compared to others I have seen. I would of course check it out and run it, but I am wondering about opinions from those who know these machines well. It only has a 24" bed, but I think that is actually ok for me. I am really only looking to chamber and thread some of my own rimfire barrels and make some small items like a bore guide. I would do that through the headstock. I don't ever plan to profile a barrel.

It has a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and 5c collet chuck.

He is asking $1950 for the lathe. I would have to either rent a truck and bring it back or pay to have it shipped. Not sure if it is worth it or not. I am from Nashville and you don't see these for sale around here very often. I would appreciate any feedback from those of you that know way more about these than me. The price seems good, but I may be missing something. Or, should I just go ahead and order a PM? Thanks!

Pics:
i-gPdQFCn.jpg
i-4Ksm7Sp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a 10k not a heavy 10.. not enough knowledge, but the heavy 10 I saw looked much different.
Looks in good condition.

It could be. I don't know these lathes hardly at all other than I know what they are and I know the heavy 10's are used a lot for gunsmithing. From the pictures I compared it to, it looked like some labeled as heavy 10's. This was why I wanted to ask. Thanks for the response.

Looks like a heavy 10 to me. 10k has rounded corners on the carriage.

Looks like a very good lathe to me. I have an older heavy 10R that came with more tooling and I paid much more. But that is in the NW where these are much more rare.

Only thing I don't see is a taper attachment, but I am not sure that is important to you.

To me it looks very good.

Note that the bed size is the overall bed length, including the bed under the headstock and tailstock. The maximum distance between centers is just that, the maximum length of stock you can turn between centers. Just eyeballing the lathe you posted, it looks to me like perhaps 24" between centers and perhaps a bed length of about 36-42". When you are talking about length of lathes, you must know which dimension is being referenced. Bed length is rarely quoted on newer lathes, almost always it is maximum distance between centers.

Thanks. I actually kind of thought it was between centers, but he has it listed as a 10x24 and I wasn't sure if it was actually considered a 10x36.

I am not worried about a taper attachment at this point. Really just looking to chamber some 22 barrels for my BR guns (after I play with some junk barrels)

Hey Hozzie: I would love that model lathe in my shop. The accessories which are not pictured might cost 1/2 as much as that machine.
Also the motor voltage is not mentioned. Disassemble and drag home what you can, ship the rest.
lk

I am flying, so taking parts home probably isn't an option. Worst case, I thought about renting a small uhaul if it is as good as it looks.

Yeah, that is on my list. As long as it is 1 1/16 or bigger, I think I am fine. My barrels don't have sights and they are only .900, so I just need a little extra room for comfort.

Last edited:
Back