Possible electrical issue with new G9972Z lathe

You are quite correct that you turn the spindle direction first, then the power. Are you saying if you do this the motor stops after a second or so?
If I set the spindle switch to L or R position first, then press the power button the spindle starts are runs as it should. I also re-read the "test run" pp 19 proceedure of the manual and i'm still confused as the manual seems to call out performing both spindle startup methods. I'll post a Youtube vid tomorrow and it will show you exactly how i'm working the power switches.

If I set the spindle switch to L or R position first, then press the power button the spindle starts are runs as it should. I also re-read the "test run" pp 19 proceedure of the manual and i'm still confused as the manual seems to call out performing both spindle startup methods. I'll post a Youtube vid tomorrow and it will show you exactly how i'm working the power switches.
I just read that page. My take on the test procedure

1. Set direction switch to R
2. Press power on button. Spindle should rotate in correct direction.
3. Set direction switch to O position. Wait for the spindle to stop.
4. Set direction switch to L. Spindle should rotate in the opposite direction.
5. Push Red off power button. Spindle should stop. This is a test of the Emergency stop

If you can do all the steps as above, the lathe is fine.

Sounds normal, I believe the system won't allow an incorrect startup sequence- it's trying to protect itself (and you)

Sounds normal, I believe the system won't allow an incorrect startup sequence- it's trying to protect itself (and you)
I just read the steps out of the manual, attempting to paraphrase them. The OP was unsure how to interpret the procedure.

And to make the situation even more weird I actually had more success today moving the spindle switch between L and R and the spindle responding as it should powering up in each direction. This seems to be a random issue.

Last edited:
Bad switch contacts? Tarnish from the container ship ride to the US? Seems that it sometimes works as stated in the manual.
Also could be rough shipment. Might want to open it up and check if the connections are on tight. Maybe the connectors need to be slightly tightened a tiny bit. Seems pretty odd. It should work the way the manual states.

By the way, you probably shouldn't spin the chuck that way with nothing in the jaws. You could tighten the jaws to meet in the center. They don't need to be ridiculous tight, but at least snugged. Would really be a bad thing if a jaw decided to go flying. Machines won't care or weep if they kill you.

When I got my G4004G 12×36 lathe, the forward/reverse switch on the skirt did a few "wierd" things.
I traced it down to the cam near the Norton Gearbox housing, got out some allen wrenches, and adjusted the position of the cam to match the positions of the detents on the skirt.
Has worked ever since.

Perhaps you should dig into the switch (with power off of course) to see if there is anything you can see akilter, or measure with a A/C volt meter.

Update. Since i moved my lathe down into my basement workshop AND added a 20A dedicated power circuit my above described occurrence has disappeared. When i was having all my issues was trying to run the lathe out in my shed on a 15a circuit with an extension cord, and in cold weather. Ill bet the lathe internal on/off switch circuit breaker is very sensitive to amp draw. The lathe rotational switching functions perfect now.

Last edited:
Back