Porter Cable B9 6x54 Belt Sander - Cast Iron

Thanks James! I'm fixing the wiring on mine today plus adding a forward/reverse drum switch.

FWIW, my B-9 has a 1hp motor. the motor on yours looks like an upgrade ( TEFC motors weren't very common in the '30's). It looks quite a bit bigger than the stock motor.
-James Huston

I know this is an old post, but I just picked one of these up and have a few questions. I got this thing running but I'm haveing tracking issues. Is the top roller supposed to have .07" taper from one side to the other?
Thanks
i_r_machinist

Attachments

• 20200530_151821.jpg
    20200530_151821.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 12
I know this is an old post, but I just picked one of these up and have a few questions. I got this thing running but I'm haveing tracking issues. Is the top roller supposed to have .07" taper from one side to the other?
Thanks
i_r_machinist

I don't have this sander but yes, the roller that has the tracking adjusment attached to it is usually crowned in order for the belt to be tracked.

On my Rockwell belt sander I had tracking issues. I wrapped several layers of electrical tape on the roller to build up the center. This fixed my tracking issues.

To my knowledge the rollers are not supposed to be tapered from side to side, just a crown in the middle.

The tracking issue may also be due to misalignment of the top roller. It has to be parallel to the platen. Most Sanders can't lose that adjustment, but the upper arm of the B-9 isn't keyed to the frame in any way.
-James Huston

The tracking issue may also be due to misalignment of the top roller. It has to be parallel to the platen. Most Sanders can't lose that adjustment, but the upper arm of the B-9 isn't keyed to the frame in any way.
-James Huston
As you can see from the picture, the left side of the belt is frayed from getting into the blower belt. If the sanding belt does not have about a 1/4" hanging over the right hand side of the rollers, I get a runnaway to the left hand side into the blower belt. I'm thinking about turning down the upper roller so that it has a crown in the center like the Doall that is at work.
I think this tracking issue is the reason this was sitting in a pasture and not in someones shop.
Have fun and thanks for the replies!
i_r_

All the same, check that your roller is parallel. The crown should be in the middle, but an offset arm will cause poor tracking no matter where the crown is on the roller.
-James Huston

Back