Poor Man's Ruger 10/22 Mag Release

terry_g

Active User
Registered
I have always found the mag release on my 10/22 a bit of an annoyance to operate with my large fingers.

Last night I was looking through the assortment of metal that I have collected for my lathe and mill and selected a small piece of 1/4" OD steel tubing. I cut off a piece 3/4" long for the extension.

I removed the mag release and clamped it in the milling vice and drilled it and tapped it for a #8-32 screw and cut a seat for the end of the tube with a 1/4" end mill.

It works very well and I was able to use my $10,000.00 plus investment in machine tools to save $6.00.

Terry

IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had done that same thing a few years ago. Also modified the bolt release into an auto bolt release.

Don't care what any body says, the ruger 10/22 is probably one of the finest off the shelf plinkers there is. I have a small 20.00 scope on mine and can consistently hit weed stalks at 25 meters. The rabbit population in my neck of the woods is also suffering due to their affinity for my vegetable garden. Figure they put my garden inside em so I bury them in the garden so they can return my nutrients to where they stole em. I can get em at 50 meters no problem all day long. I added a 50 round mag so I dont have to reload as often and made sure I could still use the iron sights with the scope installed. I love that little rifle, never fails to fire no matter how dirty it is.
Bob

Back