Poor man's DRO

Racer57

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I saw a picture of something like this. I have a old South Bend 9A. The cross slide vernier dial is small and worn. I was pretty much not able to make repeatable small incremental changes. This mounts to the cross slide base using the mounting holes for the follower rest and reads cross slide movement.

Will

01143561d39f5072285c25cc37c8c190812242b5ec.jpg

Another option might be a Trav-A-Dial. I've always preferred them to a DRO on a lathe. No scales or cords to get in the way and easy to read. They are now obsolete, but still available from places like eBay. There are currently over 50 listings for complete units and pieces. Some even have graduations down to .0005". I continually keep an eye out for one that would fit my Sheldon lathe.

I've found a few over the years, but those that have them must think they're solid gold. Often times they're asking more than a new DRO would cost. I'll keep looking. I'm sure there are still plenty out there.

I saw a picture of something like this. I have a old South Bend 9A. The cross slide vernier dial is small and worn. I was pretty much not able to make repeatable small incremental changes. This mounts to the cross slide base using the mounting holes for the follower rest and reads cross slide movement.

Will

View attachment 456864
I mounted mine to the back of the saddle, where a taper attachment would mount.
BTW, that is an ARO.........

I used to have that. Then I made a large dial with 200 markings.. I like direct reading much better than radius reading.

Another option might be a Trav-A-Dial. I've always preferred them to a DRO on a lathe. No scales or cords to get in the way and easy to read. They are now obsolete, but still available from places like eBay. There are currently over 50 listings for complete units and pieces. Some even have graduations down to .0005". I continually keep an eye out for one that would fit my Sheldon lathe.

I've found a few over the years, but those that have them must think they're solid gold. Often times they're asking more than a new DRO would cost. I'll keep looking. I'm sure there are still plenty out there.
I was given a metric/imperial Trav-a-Dial when a friend passed. It was too big to mount on my Heavy 10. I sold it on eBay, bought a 2-axis DRO and pocketed $100.

I use a mag base with a dial indicator mounted against the tool post when I have to hold measurements to tenths. And have to use coefficients of expansion.

Back