Pondering DRO for my PM-1228LB Lathe

SRay53TxTn

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As a "future" upgrade I'm pondering a DRO installation on my PM-1228 lathe.
Looking for thoughts/opinions the pro/cons of this type of install and investment.

Currently has no DRO, however, my PM-728V-T mill (scheduled to arrive in a couple weeks will be equipped with one).

If pro what mft and type would you'd recommend; noting cost and ease of install.
It would be my first DRO install and I believe I have the necessary skills for the install.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have a TPACTools DRO on my Grizzly 14 x 40 (G0709) lathe and love it. It's especially nice when turning to a shoulder. Face the part, Zero the DRO and make a cut to a known length. I used to use a 2" travel dial indicator on a magnetic base. The DRO is so much more convenient.

I wrote the width of my parting tools on the tool holders. If I grab a GTN-3 with a 0.122" width, I touch the tool on the face of the part and plug in "0.122". Then move to the groove/parting line and cut away.

Mine has 5 micron scales on both the X and Z (X is the cross feed, Z is the longitudinal). My resolution in diameter mode is in 0.0004" increments off the top of my head. You'll get recommendations here for 1 micron scales so your resolution will be in 0.0001" steps (or better). Frankly, I still go to a micrometer if it's super critical, the 5 micron scale works fine for me. I ran a bolt into my carriage to prevent mashing the X/Y scale with the tail stock. Photos are in the link below.

Mine has glass scales. You can go with magnetic ones also though I've had the cheaper glass scales for 4 1/2 years with no issues.

Here's the thread to my DRO install:

Bruce

Bruce,
Excellent details and really helps in my lathe DRO research.
Thank you for the information!

Steve

Go for it, you won’t regret it. I put one on my 12x36 lathe with magnetic scales from Dro Pros. It has 5 micron scales on the Z and 1micron on the X.

Back