POLL......What do you think of Starrett?

What do you think of the "modern Starrett" instruments?

• Super high quality at a reasonable price.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Super high quality but to pricy

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Middle of the road quality but priced ok.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Middle of the road quality and way overpriced.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • Never liked them, never will.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Even China makes better stuff than this!

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
I have a Helios 6" vernier and 6" dial caliper and I use them both. I think eyesight gives precedence to dial calipers and large electronic numbers. :)

Just about all of my stuff is used. For mic's I always liked Browne and Sharpe much more than Starrett. For me, they just have a nicer feel. Now, I'm talking about the older Swiss ones here. My 6" calipers are TESA. and I love them, they are the best dial calipers I have ever picked up. I am always on the lookout for more of them. I have an old set of Lufkin inside Mic's they are fairly nice. For indicators, I have many different ones. Give me an old indicator any day over the new ones. Not many companies make good indicators anymore. To find a good "new" indicator, in my opinion, you have to go Swiss. They are big bucks but they are the best you can get. Compac, Intrepid and the Swiss "Best Test" under the Browne and Sharp name are some of the best. Again, in my opinion.

I have to agree with you completely and I just LUV MY BROWN AND SHARP 90% of the time just feel better. But as you say that's my opinion - like wrenches to me a SnapOn wrench and Ratchet just have a much better fit and feel in my hands and I am a retired master BMW, Saab, Honda Master Technician / and now getting into the machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STARRETT HAS BEEN PROCLAIMED , THE WORLD'S BEST TOOLMAKERS !
IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THEIR CATALOG .

JOKING ASIDE , I HAVE HAD PLENTY OF STARRETT TOOLS .
GENERALLY SPEAKING , THEY ARE OF HIGH QUALITY .

I THINK SOME OF MY EUROPEAN STUFF IS BETTER
BUT THEY HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF .

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY WERE MAKING STARRETT IN CHINA NOW
SO THE OLD RULES MAY NOT APPLY .

STARRETT HAS BEEN PROCLAIMED , THE WORLD'S BEST TOOLMAKERS !
IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THEIR CATALOG .

JOKING ASIDE , I HAVE HAD PLENTY OF STARRETT TOOLS .
GENERALLY SPEAKING , THEY ARE OF HIGH QUALITY .

I THINK SOME OF MY EUROPEAN STUFF IS BETTER
BUT THEY HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF .

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY WERE MAKING STARRETT IN CHINA NOW
SO THE OLD RULES MAY NOT APPLY .
why are you shouting? LOL.....

Forty years ago they were tops , Brown & sharpe , federal , Ames , Scherer tumico, lufkin . All mostly American run companies ruled the top list. Now with all the import China stuff is taking the market by storm. What's that say about America , it tells me were selling our selves out . When the nafta trade act went thru sure started the downfall of the tradesman in America . Not trying to push any politics discussion . Just trying to explain the reason we don't have good American Made tools , there moving some tools to be made in China to save there business , they held out for a whole lot of years , but if we as a nation don't start producing products in reach of every person's income we can't survive .

Last edited by a moderator:
Cadillac measuring tools. By that, I mean they're probably my favorite American tools, but Mitutoyo's are great tools made in Brazil. Most of the companies have been bought and sold and are made wherever nowadays, even Starrett.

Forty years ago they were tops , Brown & sharpe , federal , Ames , Scherer tumico, lufkin . All mostly American run companies ruled the top list. Now with all the import China stuff is taking the market by storm. What's that say about America , it tells me were selling our selves out . When the nafta trade act went thru sure started the downfall of the tradesman in America . Not trying to push any politics discussion . Just trying to explain the reason we don't have good American Made tools , there moving some tools to be made in China to save there business , they held out for a whole lot of years , but if we as a nation don't start producing products in reach of every person's income we can't survive .

On your opening sentence I can agree but I would encourage you to Google NAFTA. I'm not looking for a response but misinformation is worse at times than no information at all.

That sucks. Not joking here, I wonder if they would take it back? I'm thinking it was Warped from the beginning. Even if it wasn't something like that should never warp. If not, could you maybe lapp it?

I wouldn't lap it. Because it has an involute curved vee for sitting on round surfaces, the whole base needs to be remachined. Its the diagonally opposing corners on the flats that have become distorted, I would say from stress relieving itself. Which means it was machined too soon after casting in my opinion. I'll get around to it one day, its just that I made my own from a surveyors bubble thats good to 2 secs over 12" and has proven to be perfect.
cheers

I have to say, I have some 10-12 year old "green stripe" hacksaw blades and they are some of the best I have ever used. Only now starting to get dull and I've used them a lot. Don't know if the new ones are as good since these lasted so long! LOL

Back