Pneumatics geniuses needed...

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
I know a bit about heavy class 8 truck air brakes systems and the plumbing, but I need help designing or locating a sequencing valve that will allow me to extend 4 cylinders individually and retract them the same way. I think simultaneous extension and retraction could get messy if the system is not perfectly smooth. A hang up could slam the parts and possibly cause damage or breakage. Any Pneumatics guys among us? Any help on locating valving or a tutorial would be great. Thanks in advance to all the guys and gals that are definately smarter than me, I appreciate all the help I get.
Bob

No a genius but done some at work. You can make a manifold and have 4 taps with valves on each. Depending on the pressure different options.

Put them in series with a restrictor orifice, or maybe a needle valve to adjust. The first cylinder would have no orifice and would extend first, then once it is full if air, the next one, who is restricted, would begin to fill. And so forth. You didn't mention speed, but given sufficient air pressure, this would not appreciably slow things down.

This assumes double acting cylinders.

Sounds like a job for hydraulics or air over hydraulics. Moving 4 pistons at once in a controlled fashion is not a job I'd consider for pneumatics.

Steve

Bob,
Something as simple as pdentrum suggested or Do you need this to be full auto operation?
Can you use microswitches? When the ram reaches a certain point in its stroke you can trip the switch to operate the next ram and so on. That is also going to require solenoids too. Does'nt have to be occur at full extension. If you want to avoid any electrics, then there are fully pneumatic switches available also.
You may need to ensure an accumulator is nearby to keep up with the operation.
like Charley said, whatchadoin?

Cheers Phil

Last edited:
Building a brew tower where I need to expand the foot print for a safer overall device. I have been tinkering with using a microchip to read and report temps, control pumps and isolate everything to low voltage for safety. I also plan to protect everything with GFCI, interlocks, and fuses so there wont be dangerous voltage in the vicinty of liquids withot some sort of safety devices. I have been using slotted material from HD/Lowes as the giant erector set and I am using a basic microchip family to do the electronics. I decided to use pneumatics on the legs since it is easier to control and plumb than hydraulics or electrical servos or positioners. I started a brew tower build thread/blog, if you would like to be on the updates list with pics, schematics and diagrams discussions, LMK and I will be glad to add you to it. I have been sort of off list with the particulars since it is kind of off topic for a lot of this site and it's focus as wel as the brewing site I follow which has the same issue with the electronics not really being on topic for them too. So I just figured I would not create any controversy and keep it among interested parties without wasting bandwidth on a few different sites. I am soliciting interested folks to give their opinions and join in the discussions to enrich the learning I am getting from the project and encourage others to experiment some too.
Bob

bob
I'm interested please add me
on air lifts for cars with 2 cylinders they incorporate a cable that pulls up on the other cylinder as they move they have to move even because of the cables
steve

Back