Pm935 Vise?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have decided to order a PM935 mill next week. I am sure there are more than one threads here answering my question but I find this site difficult to search. So forgive me if this had been asked too often already.

What size vise do you use on your 935 mills?

I am leaning toward Glacern and assume the consensus would be a 4 or 5 inch vise.

Thanks for the help!

Depends on the work size you plan to do. 5" would be about correct, but they are pricey for what you get, and you won't find many good used ones. 6" is probably overkill but very much a standard of the industry. You can get used ones, lots of parts and accessories to fit them, and parallel sets are usually built to that length. I use a 6" vise on my Millrite with an 8 x 32" table and am quite happy with it.

I have a Glacern 6 inch vice on my PM935. Yes it overhangs the table but it does not reduce the Y axis travel since the DRO scale is located on the inside of the table and extends the same amount as the vice.
I went with the 6 inch because in my experience the extra work holding length is often needed, in particular if holding large discs and such.

I have decided to order a PM935 mill next week. I am sure there are more than one threads here answering my question but I find this site difficult to search. So forgive me if this had been asked too often already.

What size vise do you use on your 935 mills?

I am leaning toward Glacern and assume the consensus would be a 4 or 5 inch vise.

Thanks for the help!

I originally had a 5" Kurt on my 935 and it was great and I was fortunate to find a handle that fit from a member here as the vise is not produced anymore and is a 5/8" versus the 3/4". I use the Kurt now on one of my drill presses.

However, I ran into a project where I needed two vises ( a long tapered sliding dovetail) where I needed a lot of precision ( not normal for most of my projects!) so I bought two Glacern matching machined 5" vises when they had a sale last year. They have worked very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lucked into a used Kurt 5" vise that I use oversized (6") jaws in. For me, it's the best of both worlds.

I'm jealous you were able to find a good used Kurt. Most of what I've seen available is a bit over the top skinned up and overpriced.

So looks like my alternative is to buy something new. Glacern has a promotion going now but having only recently being involved in the market, I'm not sure how attractive the pricing actually is.

Nothing wrong with the Shars vices. I have seen and used them. Not as nice as a Kurt but at half the price should be fine for hobby use.

I went with the 5" Glacern on mine. I am happy with it and will buy more Glacern products.

+1 on what Bob K said. The 6" Kurt vises are more available and priced more reasonably because of it. There are much more accessories available for it as well. A big plus. A smaller vise may have slightly less overhang in the rear, but not much.

Last edited:
Back