Pm932m chip tray ??

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well I just ordered a pm932m and I'm gonna build a stand what I'm debating is should I build a chip tray for the top or just order one is it worth the 50 bucks or it a cheap flimsy tray thanks for any help :)

Well I just ordered a pm932m and I'm gonna build a stand what I'm debating is should I build a chip tray for the top or just order one is it worth the 50 bucks or it a cheap flimsy tray thanks for any help :)

Are you talking about the cast iron chip/coolant tray or a sheet metal chip tray? I have the cast iron one and by itself it doesn't catch much of anything. Adding extensions like I did helps. I'm kidding! This would be overkill for a manual machine but you get the idea. The original one doesn't cut it. 20150813_161452_resized.jpg20150831_163051_resized.jpg

Yes I'm talking about the metal chip tray I think I may make a tray from some .125

Yes I'm talking about the metal chip tray I think I may make a tray from some .125

That's what I would do. You might also consider a three sided enclosure to help contain the chips.

I just went through the same thing. In the end, I built a stand with no chip pan at all. I built it out of 1/4 plate so it was plenty heavy. From my experience, if you are not going to use flood coolant, a chip pan just is a place for clutter to collect. I just let all the chips fall on the floor and sweep up instead of collecting in the chip pan. Rather than cleaning out the pan onto the floor and then sweeping it up. Just forget the pan and make cleanup a one step process.

I can always weld on a chip tray latter if I want, but see no need now that I have it this was.

Dennis

I also bought one of these machines for my students to use in the welding shop at school. I got the ENCO model for them with the chip pan. The chip pan is just a piece of stamped sheet metal. Maybe 18 g. Not worth $50. I didn't know what is was until I got it at the school. The base was pretty flimsy also. When I ordered my 932 for my home shop, I built my own base without any pan.
932 base side.JPG
932 base side.JPG
932 base.JPG
932 base  access.JPG

Last edited:
Back