PM932 CNC Build

I check in on the Mach forums from time to time at it seems like people have continued to have issues with the ESS plugin for M4.

Something is wonky with my version of M3. It worked fine for over a year and out of the blue started having the issue. I'm not the only one who has this problem and I'm told it is a bug in the software. I have a screen-set for my router that I really like I might try since is has it's own spindle macro.

From the Artsoft web site it looks like Mach4 hobby can only be on one PC at a time. If that is the case it's kind of a deal breaker since I have the mill and router plus I keep a copy on my CAD computer for testing g-code.

From your signature I see you have the DRO Pros magnetic DRO. How do you like it? I have one sitting in my shop waiting for my lathe to arrive.

The Dro Pro's magnetic DRO has changed my life as it pertains to the Lathe. I always struggled to make accurate parts or it took me so long to set things up and assure myself that I had it figured out correct that the "Hobby" turned into a "Job". With the DRO that all changed. I have never used another Lathe DRO so I can't really compare it to others but the installation video that they made was fantastic and I felt 110% confident in installing the DRO on my lathe and in fact the installation when without a hitch. I do wish I could figure out how to effectively store tool offsets so I did not have to "Zero" each tool but that has not been too big of a deal. I just make a light cut, Measure and input the actual into the control and it is "zero'd". I called them and they said that should upgrade to the new "Absolute" magnetic scales but I don't have any plans to do that anytime soon.

In a previous life when I worked as a machinist we didn't have digital readouts. Count turns, use indicators for critical work, know your backlash, mark the dials with grease pencils. About 15 years ago I got back into machining at the hobby level and the first thing I did was install a DRO. The one I had was The Shooting Star CBX which uses a rack & pinion w/encoder system. Made the machine a joy to use. I have used a few and setup a few machines for others with glass scales and they all have had some issues with the scales over time. I know a lot of people use them with great success but I'm leery. That's why I decided to go with the magnetic for the new lathe. I have never used pre-sets with tool holders. Is there a way to re-zero the tool library if you move the compound? I would assume so.

it is supposed to allow you to set a tool and then all other tools are relative to that one. This is pretty standard for tool presetting and on my Mill where the work piece can be in un-predictable places from job to job I think this make sense. But on a Lathe, the Center of rotation is exactly the same no mater what part I am making (X axis). I am sure I just need to spend more time with it but I am so happy with it that I have not taken the time to learn more about it.

Joined this forum just so I can pick your brain on converting my own PM-932 into a CNC machine. I'm ready to get started on it, so the first thing I'll need are the new screws. I'd like to find out your measurements to make my life a little bit easier. I think I'm going to go with double nuts to help eliminate any problems, unless I can be convinced that two single nuts is the better approach. One thing I wonder is, if you had to do it over again, would you move to a 2505 on the Z, or do you think the 2005 is good enough?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions once I have everything scattered across my garage. :)

I have the double nut screws. It is two separate nuts with a shim between them to tighten them up. One of the nuts doesn't have the mounting flange.
Dave

Joined this forum just so I can pick your brain on converting my own PM-932 into a CNC machine. I'm ready to get started on it, so the first thing I'll need are the new screws. I'd like to find out your measurements to make my life a little bit easier. I think I'm going to go with double nuts to help eliminate any problems, unless I can be convinced that two single nuts is the better approach. One thing I wonder is, if you had to do it over again, would you move to a 2505 on the Z, or do you think the 2005 is good enough?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions once I have everything scattered across my garage. :)

Welcome to the forums. You will find this a helpful and friendly place.

I would probably go with the double ball nuts vs. the two single nuts. We have been using them on the large CNC router/mill we built for the high school and they have worked well. Mine are due for adjustment which is a bit of a pain to do.

As for the Z the 2005 ball screw has worked fine with no issues. In the next couple of weeks I plan on updating my coolant enclosure so when that gets installed I will have a chance to inspect to see how it is performing. The full gear head is heavy. I have supported the lower end of the Z screw with a thrust bearing so I think the 2005 is fine. If I were to not support the bottom and just hang the screw I would go with the 2505 to have a larger shaft, nut & bearing up top.

Attached is the order form I sent to the supplier. The dimensions are based on my mill and how I chose to mount the motors. You will need to take your own measurements based on your mill and motor mounting system.

Attachments

• Ballscrew_specification_20140102.pdf
    236 KB · Views: 21
Nice, thank you for that order form and info. Sounds like it's probably safe enough to stick with 2005 all around.

Any chance I could get your drawings for the new mounts and such? I understand that I would have to check my mill for match and adjust, but I'm sure it would still save a bunch of time. I like your design, so I'm probably going to copy a great deal of it. If it ain't broke and all that.

I have some drawings. I did make some in-progress tweaks to some of the parts but I'm not sure I updated those. I will have to see all of what I have.

I do have all the parts in Solidworks 2015 or in parasolid format if you have a 3D CAD program.

PM me your email and I will forward along what I have.

Back