1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

    Dismiss Notice

Pm45m Cnc Conversion 2.0

Discussion in 'MACHINE BUILD LOGS' started by gt40, Apr 12, 2016.

  1. gt40

    gt40 Active Member Active Member

    Likes Received:
    47
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    USA
    City:
    Seattle Kitsap area
    State:
    Washington

    -Return to Top-

    I moved last year to Washington state from Santa Monica and brought my machine tools. The lathe, bandsaw and other stuff arrived fine but my RF45 clone from Precision Mathews was delivered in a terrible state.

    Here is a pic of what it was before the move:

    proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fmccomsey.net%2Fcncmill%2Fmillenclosure.jpg


    It was converted to bt30 with a pneumatic drawbar, belt drive with 7800 rpm spindle and 4" extension on the head with a full 12" of travel on the Y axis with DMM servos. If anyone wants, here is the original build:

    http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-bt30-spindle-power-draw-bar-enclosure.33468/

    The shipper apparently dropped it from the truck! Here are some pics of how it arrived to my new house:
    qliiq5MhYikFDJ3Ggl6XlgIIH4OnDpkJ4Bg9rmPl4JfF1uZe18xA-QfWwvEgQpvTLMYomvBUm6XWGYttet=w1654-h930-no.jpg
    l3-h4VXTGdydRtew-1LlMFFh3EGfBdQIEBx1hj6ox2Vnl2_shMsn73of32w1d2cQUkebiHbmziL54gC47h=w1654-h930-no.jpg
    jpUgXDGhJAplOnCjD96prg3gp3umYT0i1EKr06YLCIVGlxcdvtkDpiaOJl0WHx2eDKmT-tIwheVpuGuTqr=w1654-h930-no.jpg

    Long story short, 2 doa ballscrews, 2 bashed servos, broken mounts, pulleys etc and a lot of work undone.

    Got small amount of money from the Rigger company but not close to what I have into it.

    The machine sat for 6 months but I have decided to rebuild it and make it better than before. After taking it apart, I lucked out- no broken castings at least.

    Stripped:

    NjHQUuvX19LS_glCQyxiN3sEknTzdW5lVYBwl6zcXQkezODAxzKVAL-8HFvbdaoq0QHPnFylKB4fy2a_z-x=w524-h930-no.jpg

    Bin o parts:

    0G5XKITmOyw-uDJ2_nmzgtoSfV_K0kxkgX9pNOLnTjfx2IaIImKmop-nYWUN_FnkxsH2iK5bf_HGotTJNd=w1654-h930-no.jpg


    For 2.0 build, I filled the base and lower column + inside sides for the column with epoxy granite. This should add much needed increase in mass and stiffness to the machine. Second, going to make a minor upgrade on the roton ballsnuts from single to heavy duty double. From the prior build, I had little backlash and this should only make things even better. I had to replace the x axis ballscrew and am going to try to use the y and z ballscrews with new ball nuts.

    Pics so far:

    zdxPZTh1pwIJaDDmMCxAm_Bmggj0XIjR1djgrVZ3xQsrSXFhRD5CMkiiL7oeShjSpiH0TFzkRHJ2EpQUiQ=w1240-h930-no.jpg

    yr4GPGvtVrT4o1hGxF1ziG_V3pJFBGdDHzsYb0jc8iokb0idds8ekeE0VlFyPdyVx3ZdyriLkASLM8XcqXv=w698-h930-no.jpg

    ivNZs2FtdVQprQGsnciyC-Q_T2zeW1qjuKY59G2HSoQmr5jr6f6PRV3ycZ7PN2wZ-RQdxQY3pVEdMYlH15y=w698-h930-no.jpg
    SWml3RNwHS8m3isrPi3ehHRa0MhI0p7NNy4JZhZLyS2DhzjX3ASZiruMUPvv8rERTCXgq3xMl0sAMBjZ4d-=w698-h930-no.jpg


    EbpOU96OURMB3xAybOMOaHHL643OQoLNvKD-pjbiMu0LbsDy2SAv_-yMSB0P6xNPvkscAlA_RTZ00R6FcQ=w1240-h930-no.jpg

    The epoxy granite was sand, decomposed granite and pea gravel with epoxy. I didn't try to be as fancy as my giant epoxy granite build mix but it setup nice and added over a 100 lbs of mass.

    Finish is Alumahyde from Brownells. It is impervious to chemicals once cured and abrasion resistant. I think it is aluminum oxide and epoxy + pigment. Anyway, I have used it before and it is really tough stuff.

    Ballscrew, new servos and upgraded ballnuts should arrive this week.

    More to follow. Thanks for looking...
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    TomS and rdean like this.
  2. gt40

    gt40 Active Member Active Member

    Likes Received:
    47
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    USA
    City:
    Seattle Kitsap area
    State:
    Washington

    -Return to Top-

    Update:

    I got the mechanical part of the rebuild basically complete.

    This was an interesting exercise as I have no working mill or drill press and only a lathe in the new shop currently. I had to modify the servo mounting plates and drill and tap new mounting holes as most of the bolts were sheered off from the impact. I will upgrade to cnc made mounting plates if I get the time but everything is functional and all axis move smoothly without backlash.

    New ballscrew and ballnuts for X axis:



    Updated DMM Tech 750 watt servos and drives:



    New Ballnuts:


    Re installing the head and spindle:





    Complete:



    Next up is electronics...

    Thanks for looking
     
    TomS and JimDawson like this.
  3. Matabele

    Matabele United Kingdom Active Member Active Member

    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    8
    City:
    Cirencester
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

    -Return to Top-

    Nicely done!
     

Share This Page